Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does your schools do this?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am curious.  We move around a lot so I have seen all different schools hours. 

Does your school have the elementary go first and then middle and high schools later or vice versa? 

I was reading that teens need 8-10 hours of sleep (no big shocker) which most do not get.  My girls do get 8 hours a night but are still tired and they are in bed at 9 each night which most of their friends do not do.  They leave for school at 6:40 and high school starts at 7:20 or 7:30 depending on your grade.  Freshman and sophomore's are at 7:20 and 7:30 for juniors and seniors.  The bus comes at 6:25 if you ride the high school bus.  The elementaries here start anywhere from 8:15-8:40 depending on the feeder schools to the high school. 

We used to live in GA and the elementary started at 7:50 and  the high school and middle school 8:40 so the older teens got to sleep longer.  It also means if you ride the bus home you are not home until after 4pm so it pushed after school activities much later than if you get out of school an hour earlier. 

In Ohio the grade schools didn't start until 8:55 and the high school started at 8. 

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamakas2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM

My son goes to a charter school outside of our district, and his bus comes at 7:20 AM. He attends school from 8AM to 4PM. His school is K-6, and a lot of people will probably say that is "mean" to make Kindergarteners go to school for 8 hours, but the program is so excellent that I am looking forward to my now 3 year old attending in another year and a half.

Kelly1214
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM

At my son's school, the elementary kids (k-4) are in school from 7:45 to 2:15 and the bigger kids (5-8) are in school from 8:45 to 3:15.  We live in a small town without a high school so when my son is old enough (he's in 3rd grade) we will choose from HS's in towns near us.  But maybe by then, we will have our own HS.  One can only dream....LOL!

HeatherDawn75
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:50 AM

My DS is in middle school and he goes from 7:50 to 2:50. My DD is in grade school and goes from 8:00 to 3:00. They have the older kids go earlier and get out earlier so they can pick up or drop off their younger siblings if needed.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM

That was what didn't make sense to me with so many working parents.  When we lived in GA and the elementary got out earlier any working parents had to find childcare for their younger ones because older siblings were not home. 

Quoting HeatherDawn75:

My DS is in middle school and he goes from 7:50 to 2:50. My DD is in grade school and goes from 8:00 to 3:00. They have the older kids go earlier and get out earlier so they can pick up or drop off their younger siblings if needed.

HarleyMama2008
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:55 AM

We have too many schools in our town, but here are the times they go:

K-1: 805am to 305pm

2-3: 810am to 310pm

4-5: 815am to 315pm

Middle School (6-8) and High School (9-12): 8am to 3pm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)