Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Credit card calling

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM
  • 13 Replies

So I missed a payment last month on my credit card. I only have 1 and I am trying my best to pay it off. Anyway, they call me like 3-5 times a day. Someone mentioned the other day that they are only allowed to call once a day or it is harassment. Is that true? I will continue to pay, I just want them to stop calling me.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebestbrianne
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM

That's ridiculous. You missed one payment, they shouldn't be calling you at all!

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

nancycsel
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:10 PM

They can be so annoying. I wasn't even a full month late and they called about 3-4 times a day. I ended up making the payment on-line but still got calls for a few more days.

I am not sure though how many times they are legally allowed to call.

mme
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:11 PM

bump - idk

AuntieV
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Are they talking to you each time or are they just calling and leaving a message or no answer? When I did collections we were not allowed to speak to the debtor more than once per day. If we had a promise to pay within a reasonable time we were not to call the person back until after the agreement was broken.

You should be able to google "Fair debt collections for (your state)" and get some information specific to the state you live in.

lilblufrog
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I just wanted to add I don't plan on suing them or anything. I just want to be prepared to tell them they can't harass me and to stop calling. My daughter is going to bed soon and if they call I'm not going to be very happy.

cesca511
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Nope, they are allowed to call as many times as they want as long as it is between the hours of 8 am and 9pm.  They are relentless now.  I was a week late with one payment and I got calls.  With the economy the way it is, they are trying to make sure they get their money.

"Everything that is or was began with a dream." ~ Lava Girl

c_boerman
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM

If you tell them to stop calling (if they need to contact you they have to do it by mail) they legally have to stop calling just make sure you get a name of the person who you told and also follow it up with a letter that is certified. 

My sister had this problem and she found out that they cant call once you ask them.

Also in that other reply they can call more than once a day as long as they dont identify who they are (IE this is so and so with Chase Bank).  But if they call and ask you to call them back with a number they cant call (but I am not sure how that goes with messages)!

"Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't ..... when life knocks you down you have two choices-stay down or get up!"

luv_my_xiya
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM

are you answering the phone...because i think they can keep calling until you answer the phone...once you answer the phone for that day then they wait until the next to call

nancycsel
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

are you answering the phone...because i think they can keep calling until you answer the phone...once you answer the phone for that day then they wait until the next to call

Off topic but you have a beautiful baby!

lilblufrog
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I have answered it. Then they continued calling the next day. It comes up as different numbers which is really annoying and they don't leave messages. They just call every so many hours.

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)