Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who handles the finances?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm curious as to who in your relationship is the main finance handler. Such as: carrying cash or more credit cards, making sure bills are paid on time, sticking to a budget, etc.

Is it you, your DH, or both?

In our relationship, I handle everything. I pay every bill, make sure the budget is kept up from month-to-month, and I carry all the money on me. DH has a credit card for emergencies but that's it. It's not that I'm a mean controlling wife or that I don't think he couldn't handle it necessarily but he even says himself he doesn't like to have that responsibility.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM

It's sort of both of us.  He makes the money, I pay the bills, I do the grocery shopping and then we live off the rest.  We have 2 seperate accounts, both in our names.  One is a checking account I pay all the bills out of and the other is a "savings" account, but it's a regular checking accout with a card.  He carries the card for the "savings" account and I carry the one for the bill paying account.

~Jill~

Autumn22

I handle everything.  All the money is in my wallet, the debit cards, checks.  We don't have credit cards, thank God. :) haha!  He is very happy with it this way.  We split for like 3 months in 2006 and he went totally crazy and wrote like $800 in bad checks for pizza and some stuff at a Halloween store.  AAAAH.

elijiahsmomma

I do.  I used to handle it all the time and I started getting extremely stressed out, so dh took over for a while.   But then he just kind of stopped, so I had to take it back over.  But now that we're on our budget and we have been sticking to it, things are a lot easier.

angie662
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

We have separate checking accounts and 1 joint account. He has his bills and I have mine that we each pay. He pays the mortgage and I pay pretty much everything else. I buy most of the groceries as well.

MeAndTheGirls..
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I handled the finances for  7 years , just recently hubby noticed it was totally stressing me out so he took them over..And I hate to say this but we are all caught up and have even managed to save $2000.00 in 4 months. He even has his own little excel spreadsheet with all the bills, dates and amount..And needless to say my headache went away..I luvs him!!

Christmas Icon 3elf.jpgON THE NAUGHTY LIST icon

tuesdaygreen
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM

i am in charge of everything.dh has no idea how to budget or get bills paid.

ColeyRene
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM

We own a business, and my husband takes care of all of the finances for that. He also takes care of the bill paying for our personal stuff too. We both carry a debit card, and he carries cash, but I rarely do. I use my debit card for everything, because its easier for me to track my spending.

I really, to be honest, never really know how much money we have in the bank. Its not like its a secret or anything, I just never check. I am also guilty of not thinking twice before spending money. For some warped reason, I feel like as long as he isnt complaining about how much I spend, then we must be all set, lol.

All my husband asks me to do, is save all of my reciepts from what I buy, and give them to him on Friday nights so he can balance the checkbook over the weekend.

simonsmomma
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM

We both have seperate accounts and bills.  We each pay our own.  He definetly makes a ton more than me so he pays all the major bills.  We talk about where our money is going and I ask his advice before I make big purchases.  I'm not that responsible with money but I like having my own things. 

Mum2Alex
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM

i make the budget and make most purchases relating to the house or our kids, he approves and makes sure that theres nothing i'm forgetting.

i got pissed at him once and told him to take over the bills.  we almost had our lights and phones turned off.  he thought everything was set on auto pay... *LOL* after that he was like 'i dont have TIME for this shit' then said sorry for being a douche *LOL*

SusanD
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Its a bit of a mix. I handle all the bills, and the budgeting. He has a debit card to our primary account, so he has access to the money there. I also have a debit card to that account. Then we each have an individual account. He has a certain amount per month that goes in there that he can spend however he pleases without me budgeting around it. My paycheck goes into my account and I can buy what I want/need and it also acts as another savings account.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/13434 - A group for moms who want to work from home in an employee setting without having to invest in a home based business. Please come join us. NO ADVERTISING OF HOME BASED BUSINESSES ALLOWED....thank you!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)