Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In Need of help

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is trying to apply for college. I have been out of college more than 20 yrs and had no help myself in applying for college from my family.  I am at a  lost as to how to help her. She has been applying for scholarships but have not recieved any at this time. She is not an a-b student so she does nto meet the 3.0 for hope.. My husband is the only worker in the house for the last past 3-4 years..i have been looking for over a year and recently had surgery so i am unable to work for the next 2 mths.

Is there any advise or suggestions for her. I know she wants to go to college and wants 2 be a vet. she has wanted that since 5th grade...i have such a hard time seein the hope fade in her eyes as she wonders if it will ever happen..how is she going to pay for it. and yes she has also been looking for a job and no luck in this economy...what do i do? how can i help her? i feel so useless  i cant even help myself..

pls leave me anything that u can think of that will help...alll advise appreciated

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elijiahsmomma
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM

If she is under 23 she will probably get grants if your dh is the only one working.  They will go by your and your dh's income for her financial aid.

Momontherun2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Honestly if she is not even a B student she is going to have a tough time getting into any college. Colleges want extracurriculars as well as grades. They want to see that you are a well rounded individual and have high SAT scores. What I would suggest is going to a community college for two years and then transferring into a University and she can also apply for Financial aid there.

MrsGurt
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM

If finances are an issue, her best bet might be to earn her general studies (associates degree) through a community college. I'm not sure about where you live, but here most resident students are able to get their tuition waived, and just have to pay for books. I'm a full time student at a regular community college, but I'm able to take all of my classes online. My fees are waived, I just buy my books from half.com (and pay a fraction of what they would cost new). We're a single income military family, but still make over $60K a year, and I qualify for the financial aid programs and could even get grants if I pursued it.

If your daughter is serious about becoming a vet, she needs to buckle down and get a handle on her grades. If she does this through community college, and is able to maintain a 3.0 through that, she'd be more eligible for scholarships and grants when transferring to a university.

If she doesn't wish to do this, her only other option is to apply for student loans, for which you and your DH would have to cosign.

~PJ~

Southern Californian Navy Chief's wife, student, Reiki practitioner, volunteer, animal welfare advocate, SAHM and home schooler  to J.R. (9/3/03) and Maverick (11/17/05), and "mom" to twelve indoor only cats, four dogs, three leopard geckos, two chinchillas, two cockatiels, two tortoises, a fish and the occasional foster kitten, dog or even raccoon! Spay and neuter your pets! 

simonsmomma
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM

First thing, she needs to fill out a FAFSA form.  It's an application for financial aid through the government.  She can get pell grants and student loans depending on your income (your husband's).  That's a great place to start. 

Next, is she going to a major university or a community college?  She can get her associate's at a community college and then transfer to a four year college.  It's alot cheaper in the long run.

Have her talk to her guidance counselor, they have tons of info.  Also, she can talk to financial aid at the colleges she is applying for.  They can point her in the right direction.

Good Luck! 

elijiahsmomma
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Quoting Momontherun2:

Honestly if she is not even a B student she is going to have a tough time getting into any college. Colleges want extracurriculars as well as grades. They want to see that you are a well rounded individual and have high SAT scores. What I would suggest is going to a community college for two years and then transferring into a University and she can also apply for Financial aid there.

That is so not true.  I got into college just fine and I was a c average student.  They will have her take a placement test to make sure she is up to par.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Look around ,check with your rec or adult education center Ours offers financial seminars for figuring out how to pay for college.Also my husband and I went to a financial guy and got a free consult and a multitude of information. There is money out there.My neighbors daughter just got offered 10 grand a year for 4 yrs Cause they Loved her essay.There are books filled with scholrarships and grants for every damn thing you can think of.People that are left handed,people  with allergies. people that cant chew gum and walk .  theres tons go to your local library and ask to see them .then write them.  Also alot of schools base how much you have to pay according to how much you make.

Momontherun2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM

I have never heard of a good University taking a "c" student before but I guess if you have tons and tons of extra curricular activities and did fantastic on your SATS it is possible...

Quoting elijiahsmomma:

Quoting Momontherun2:

That is so not true.  I got into college just fine and I was a c average student.  They will have her take a placement test to make sure she is up to par.

txmom-o-3
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Simmonsmomma is right, she needs to do a FASFA before she can get any kind of financial aide.  The college will then be able to help her with the grants.  Talking with the guidance counselor will help too, they should have lots of scolarships she can apply for.  Also, if she gets her basics out of the way at a local community college, then transfers, it will be cheaper, and also give her the opportunity to increase her grade average.  Good luck to her.

THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

Momsince1106
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM

have you tried applying for FASFA? If you are lower-income, she may qualify.... i dont know if there are grade requirements or not

tntmomof2
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM

The Wall Street Journal had an article out a few weeks ago about colleges. Because of the economy Universities are not getting the funding they used to so they are now raising the bar. It will now be harder to get into most Universities. The entrance exams will be harder and the requirements will be harder. The tuition is also going to increase. Some Universities have already started doing it and most will by the Fall. Its not the same as it was when we went to college. Times are different now.

To the OP - i think your daughters best move would be to start at a community college. This would give her the opportunity to pull her grades up, maybe do some volunteer work (colleges love that)  with the added benefit of lower tuition. Also, apply for financial aid. If she does not qualify she can take out student loans. She wont have to pay those back until a year after she graduates.

Good luck to your daughter.

Quoting elijiahsmomma:

Quoting Momontherun2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)