Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know how to get cat pee smell out of carpet ? HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:08 AM
  • 12 Replies

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the smell of cat pee out of the carpet ? My cat peed on my carpet I can not stand the smell I washed it with a rug shampooer and some resolve and still can not get the smell out ! Does anyone have any ideas ?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lolapop13
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM

wow thats a tough 1 heres a BUMP

c_boerman
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I would soak it in a solution of vinegar and water and then rinse with water and let dry then after it dry sprinkle the area with baking soda overnight and vacuum up.

Never tried with cat pee but it works wonders for any kind of odors.

"Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't ..... when life knocks you down you have two choices-stay down or get up!"

Blondee512
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM

WalMart sells a prduct called UrineBGone. I have not used it....but that' what they advertise it for. Worth a try.

javidsgirl
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM

sprinkle baking soda on the carpet where the cat has peed. Let set for about 10 - 15 minutes.
Step2
Pour white vinegar into spray bottle(It works best at full strength). spray on carpet where the cat has peed. Again, let set for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Step3
Using a think towel, fold towel into 3rds or 4ths and lay over area, coving the whole carpeted are that you have treated. Walk on towel to soak up vinegar. Allow carpet to dry 3 - 4 hours. Check the spot and if it still smells, repeat. It may take a couple of times to completely rid the area of the smell and keep your kitty from coming back to it.

i found this for you i hope it helps
athenax3
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM

There are various "pet odor and stain removers" that really do work wonders, I have used them and always had success, look in the pet section at the store, good luck, I HATE bad smells in my house so I'm uber wierd about it! lol

mamakas2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:16 AM

If the area is extensive, or there are multiple spots they peed, or repeatedly, NOTHING will work. I have a friend who is a vet and she has discover4ed over the years that once it gets to a certain point, the carpet is just shot. Luckily, hardwood floors are more "in" now than carpeting! In her first 3 homes, she replaced the wall to wall I think 5 times! The house they are in now, they ripped the carpet out when they moved in and just resand the floors every few years. She says its a lot cleaner overall, as far as the fur and all, too. Why don't you rip it up & go for wood? It'll actually be more cost effective in the long run.

cehendricks
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Get new carpet? My MIL had a problem with her cat peeing on the carpet and it didn't seem like anything she tried worked, they finally ripped out the carpet and put in some tile.

twinsRus5
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM

There is also a brand named OUT! I have used this. Works like a miracle. U dont need to wet your carpet. U just spray on your carpet while it is dry. Then repeat the next day. U get it at walmart for like 4 bucks. This really does get the smell out of your carpet!

Quoting Blondee512:

WalMart sells a prduct called UrineBGone. I have not used it....but that' what they advertise it for. Worth a try.

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Quoting Blondee512:

this stuff i think works great. my cat had a uti and kept peeing in my bathroom. the smell would fade quickly with this and it usually took it away didnt just hide it

mymichelle2002
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I know that cats are WAY more potent than dogs are but we use Folex instant stain remover IN my shampooer. No "carpet cleaner", just that. Works AWESOME!!!! Haven't used my "carpet cleaner" solution sinse.

I have a puppy so my shampooer hasn't left my living room in 4 months. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)