Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you drink coffee or soda while you were pregnant? Or did you take tums?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM
  • 96 Replies

Just saw in another post, now apparently all soda is bad to have while pregnant. I just read that tums are bad?? I gave birth about 7 months ago, and as of then, tums were still kosher, my doctor even had some in her office. So did you do any of the following while pregnant, drink coffee, have a soda, or eat tums?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deminika
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I'm pregnant now and tums is on the approved list of meds for me to take. I have a booklet that the doctor gave me and it also says that 2 caffeine drinks are ok. I don't drink coffee but soda is the only thing that gets rid of my headaches.

Mommy to 2 little  girls, step mom to 1 little boy and wife to my soldier.           

HaileysMommy130
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM

yes, i would take tums everyday while pregnant because i was so sick all the time. i also drank decaf coffee on occasion and had soda a few times a week. my daughter is fine. i dont know what the big deal is.

Been kicked out of another group?

COME JOIN US! We won't kick you out!!

http://www.cafemom.com/groups/drake12308

arickasmommy

i had 1 soda a day and i lived off tums.. i had bad heartburn.. and my baby girl came out perfectly healthy...

RNMOMO4

I don't know the rationale behind NOT taking TUMS.  My dr. said they were the treatment of choice for heartburn due to the calcium in them.

As for coffee, I love it, but couldn't stomach it during any of my pregnancies.  That is how I knew I was pregnant the last time, went to work, poured my coffee...took a sip...spit it out!

I did drink a few sodas...Dr. said moderation was the key as they are empty calories.

oimel00
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I know, I swear I don't know where people get info sometimes, lol. For things like tums, I go by my doctor, I dunno, maybe their doctor said something different.

Quoting deminika:

I'm pregnant now and tums is on the approved list of meds for me to take. I have a booklet that the doctor gave me and it also says that 2 caffeine drinks are ok. I don't drink coffee but soda is the only thing that gets rid of my headaches.

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM

With all three of my babies I drank coffee, soda and ate tums like they were candy.

As long as those aren't the only things you are drinking or eating, I don't see the problem.

oimel00
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I drank iced tea the first half of my pregnancy (coffee made me nauseous,) then I drank a cup of coffee mm every couple days. I also craved coke bad! lol, I didn't have too many though. I lived off tums, okay maybe not lived off of them, but I ate them a lot. Such bad heartburn, and marley came out w/ a full head of hair! lol.

ktnunna

Its a miracle that our parents and our parents parents ever had children at all! God forbid they eat a hot dog or neglect to microwave thier deli meats.  I understand being cautious but sometimes it seems rediculous. 

I drank soda with my first pregnancy and this one.  Theres a tall glass of coke in front of me right now.  Its my second for the day.. I'll probably have another before the day is over.  I like to have coffee too.  LOVE expresso!  Hell I had a glass of champagne at midnight on new years.  I eat tums like they are going out of style.  Its just calcium.. Its on my sheet of ok meds.. I dont microwave my deli meats and I eat the white cheese at the mexican restraunt.  (it HAS to be pasturised  in order for the health dept NOT to shut them down.) 

I would be sooo stressed out if I worried about every little tiny thing that might, could possibly do something.  The stress would be much more harmful than a glass of soda or a couple of tums.

Just my opinion.  Im moody today and Im sure this came out sounding bitchy.. You are welcome to blame my mother in law for my attitude..

macysmama1206

I didn't drink coffee, had a few sodas here in there, but I ate Tums like they are going out of style.  I had such bad heartburn, I would have died without Tums and milk. 

"The smile of a child is a tattoo: indelible art."

"But kids don't stay where they're supposed to. You turn around and find her not in the bedroom but hiding in a closet; you turn around and see she's not three but thirteen. Parenting is really just a matter of tracking, of hoping your kids do not get so far ahead you can no longer see their next moves."
carmensmommy424
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:26 AM

i drank pepsi and coffee occasionally and i always took tums cause i had heartburn and the doc okayed them. i also drank wine occasionally lol, its good for the heart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)