Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughter making college decisions PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM
  • 6 Replies

This may be a little long.  First of all my daughter wants to go to a massage therapy school.  My husband has gotten massages on vacations at resorts and asked around and a school in FL is one we have looked at and gotten recommendations.  It has an associate degrees program and has an in to working later at nice resorts or cruise ships, something many other schools don't really have an in into doing.  She has wanted to do massage for many years and been dreaming of going to FL to school for a couple years. 

NOW, she has a boyfriend of 6 months.  He is a year younger than her.  She is hesitant to go to FL.  I have to say also that having her go to FL alone, living in an apt. alone because this is just a small massage school with probably 100 students has been something we are leary of but willing to let her go.  Anyway, now there is a massage school here that has an associates degree 1/2 the price of the one in FL and another massage school with a good 800 hour diploma program as well, she is deciding on whether to stay in town and live at home and go to school.  My husband and I have NO problem with his at all saves us a ton.  The associates degree here is $15,000 vs $30,000 to the one in FL, plus an apt. etc.  We have talked to her that she and her boyfriend could and may break up before she graduates, or during college and do not want her to regret not going to FL and she swears this is what she wants to do.  We will look into the 3 schools in the area here now.  They seem to have very similar programs to the school in FL.  I think massage schools do not vary that much in programs, its just 12 months for a diploma program and 2 years for an associate degree.  We feel we have to let her do what she wants to do.  IF she isn't interested in working on a cruise ship ect. going to school here will be just fine for her.  That was the main reason for the other school.  She has to start making her own decisions and living by them.  There is no transferring.  It is not like a university or community college.  Once you start, you pay and finish the school. 

FYI, her sister was actually looking forward to her NOT being at home next year.  She is a little depressed at the possibility of her still living here. 

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CafeMom Admin
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Hi atlmom2

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Moms with Kids 18+ yrs.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom. You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The CafeMom Admin Team

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:45 PM

if she is wishy washy about it send her to the least expensive school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM

She isn't wishy washy around massage school.  She has wanted to go to massage school for 5-6 years now.  Its the idea of her going in FL or here in Wisconsin. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

if she is wishy washy about it send her to the least expensive school.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I understood that.What Im saying is because of her young age and her BF factor she is kinda wishy/washy on which school .she doesnt have her heart set on Fl anymore.so I personally would keep her home to the less expensive school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Yep, that is our theory too for many reasons.  I was already thinking before she decided, that she wasn't mature enough to be on her own 1000 miles away where she doesn't know anyone.  Some 18 year olds, yes.  Her no. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I understood that.What Im saying is because of her young age and her BF factor she is kinda wishy/washy on which school .she doesnt have her heart set on Fl anymore.so I personally would keep her home to the less expensive school.

Andrewsmom70
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I would suggest having her apply at schools near home AND the FL school.  That way, when the time gets closer she can make a better decision and still have all her options open to her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)