Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare question, PLEASE READ.

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

Must husband and I are seperating and I have to find daycare for my son so I can get a job. How much does everyone pay for childcare? How did you find your daycare center? I don't even know where to start. Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NananRaysmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM

My 2 kids go to a church daycare...they are cheaper than a center.  I pay between $900-$1200/month depending.  My daughter is in school full time...so it costs more on her days off...like x-mas break.  So...if shes in school all day...$900.  Summer...$1200. 

ETA:  I tried in home daycare and just did not feel comfortable.  They were with friends of mine and it just didn't work.  I choose a church not just for the price...but, for me it was important that religion was part of their "education".  My son is 4 so he is being taught preschool stuff.  I did check so many places and this one just felt right.  And, they are SO happy there! 

I am a full time working, STILL co-sleeping, spoiling my kids, supporting us alone without help from ANYONE, being responsible for my own kids, not expecting the government to bail me out, over-protective, NOT supporting Obama, EVER, UN-green, not buying into the global warming hype, believing that life starts at conception, against abortion, believing in smaller government, reducing government dependency, against wealth redistribution, anti feminism, Rush Limbaugh lovin', happy being a single mommy of two kids.

bl3ss3dm0m0f3
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I think you should know that choosing a daycare can be a difficult decision for a parent. But it is a decision that should not be put off or taken lightly. Check out your options carefully. Talk to friends for recommendations and once you do decide, continue to be involved by dropping in from time to time- have lunch with your child and make your presence felt. A good care provider will welcome parent involvement and not discourage it.

Good luck and check with some other parents in your community. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good daycare.

elijiahsmomma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Im in KY, and I pay $100/week for a 2 year old.  But you can probably get some kind of state assistance for daycare if you are going to be a single mom.

We found our daycare just by looking in the yellow pages.  We shopped around, took tours, met teachers.  When we found one we liked, we called the bbb to check them out, and the state daycare assistance also will give you reviews on qualified daycares, even if you don't qualify for assistance.

BTW, prices fluctuate a lot between states because of costs of living, so price is going to be hard to compare unless someone responds that is pretty close to where you live.

cafenoire
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Sorry to hear of the seperation.. but more practical matters....I work at a child care centre.. check with friends that may have children in care already... check in regards to fee assistance and waiting lists.. usually can call local childrens centre.. ie YMCA... or United WaY  and such

-local schools can also give you info on centres.. or we have Early Year Programs here that maintain a list of centres..

In our centre we provide care from 6 am to 615 pm and the cost varies on the age of the child.. but roughly it works out to be for childrne 2 to 5- 200.00 a wk and children that are school aged-135.00 a wk .

We have no part time spots and we are a govt run and ministry inspected centre ..

Good luck

ktnunna
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I was paying $275 per week until someone told me about the dept. of social services offering to help with child care costs.  I was able to apply and was qualified to recieve daycare assitance for the daycare of my choosing and my price dropped from $275/WEEK to $200/MONTH - A big life saver!!! (Qualifications are easy, b/c my husband and I's incomes were BOTH included and we still got it.) Good luck!

NananRaysmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Quoting ktnunna:

I was paying $275 per week until someone told me about the dept. of social services offering to help with child care costs.  I was able to apply and was qualified to recieve daycare assitance for the daycare of my choosing and my price dropped from $275/WEEK to $200/MONTH- A big life saver!!! (Qualifications are easy, b/c my husband and I's incomes were BOTH included and we still got it.) Good luck!

I guess it depends...I am a single mom and made like $800/month too much to qualify for day care assistance...with NO child support.  You have to be making next to nothing to get approved where I live...

"What about feeling sorry for those...who pay the taxes? Those are the people NO ONE ever feels sorry for. They are asked to give and give until they have no more to give. And when they say "Enough!" they are called selfish."

ktnunna
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Might depend on the state that you live in, I guess. But its worth checking out if your not morrally opposed to receiving help from the government.

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Quoting ktnunna:

I was paying $275 per week until someone told me about the dept. of social services offering to help with child care costs.  I was able to apply and was qualified to recieve daycare assitance for the daycare of my choosing and my price dropped from $275/WEEK to $200/MONTH- A big life saver!!! (Qualifications are easy, b/c my husband and I's incomes were BOTH included and we still got it.) Good luck!

I guess it depends...I am a single mom and made like $800/month too much to qualify for day care assistance...with NO child support.  You have to be making next to nothing to get approved where I live...

NananRaysmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Quoting ktnunna:

Might depend on the state that you live in, I guess. But its worth checking out if your not morrally opposed to receiving help from the government.

I really don't like government assistance...But, I think daycare assistance is one thing people should get for a longer period of time...especially single moms.  Daycare is SO expensive... Its hard to take care of yourself with the cost of child care.  I just checked..in CO its $1900/month GROSS for a family of 3.  Thats really nothing if your paying daycare.  Its really not fair how it works.  For someone to make lets say $2000/month...how would they expect those people to afford rent...

Kim3787
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I pay about $100 for my sons daycare and that's with assistance. Tuition is normally $250 a week for full time at his age (he's 4 1/2).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)