Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fair cost of a sitter?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am looking for a sitter to watch my kids one day a wk from 5:30 a till 2:30p. They will be sleeping until about 7:30/8 and will need breakfast and lunch fed to them.  My oldest will go down for a nap about 12:30p and sleep until I get home.   Both the kids are still in diapers as well (2 1/2 yrs and 10 months).  

I have never had to do a sitter before and I was wondering what a fair rate would be considering the above.  I was thinking between 50 and 80 a day but I'm not sure.

I'll be making $4 an hr plus tips (avg 60/day), so I'll only be making about 32 a day before taxes plus 50 or so.   If I pay 75-80 a day I won't be making anything and I'll actually end up spending money.  Does anyone think that 45 a day would be fair? I could even let them know that it at least half of what I am making while I'm gone....

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullcup
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I think you're right on target for committed, quality child care.  Seven bucks an hour = $63.00, so it seems at least that if not closer to $70-75.  Good luck!

Blessings!
bend_not_break
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I think $75/day sounds fair.

Proud mommy to Corbin Sage (1-3-08)
I am a circ-ing, early front facing, sposie diapering, formula feeding, selectivly vaxing, pitbull owning, sign language using, Wal*Mart shopping, drinking, opinionated, tattooed, Hard of Hearing, pierced, anti-child leash-using loving wife and mommy. Dont like me? Too bad. love you sign

--->Educated moms choose to circumcise!!!!<---

Join our group:
Debating Mammas

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:03 PM

would you take into consideration age?

say an 18 yr old with babysitting siblings,neighbors, etc   vs someone that has been babysitting for 10+ yrs that is in their 30's?   

I know I sound stupid with all this. I just don't want to rip anyone off or get ripped off myself!

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Wow, I have to say $75/day like others are saying seems a bit much for ONE day. My DD attends a home daycare all day, with EVERYTHING provided, and I only pay $35/day. I'd pay maybe $40 - 50 for someone to come to my home ONE day a week.

Kairi happy new year 2009

bend_not_break
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM

if the person only has limited sitting experience, then i would do $50/day.  if they are very experienced (reguardless of age) then they should get more.  Im 23 and have eben a mothers helper/babysitter since i was 10 so maybe im a bit biased

Quoting RosePetalTears:

say an 18 yr old with babysitting siblings,neighbors, etc vs someone that has been babysitting for 10+ yrs that is in their 30's?

I know I sound stupid with all this. I just don't want to rip anyone off or get ripped off myself!

Proud mommy to Corbin Sage (1-3-08)
I am a circ-ing, early front facing, sposie diapering, formula feeding, selectivly vaxing, pitbull owning, sign language using, Wal*Mart shopping, drinking, opinionated, tattooed, Hard of Hearing, pierced, anti-child leash-using loving wife and mommy. Dont like me? Too bad. love you sign

--->Educated moms choose to circumcise!!!!<---

Join our group:
Debating Mammas

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

Wow, I have to say $75/day like others are saying seems a bit much for ONE day. My DD attends a home daycare all day, with EVERYTHING provided, and I only pay $35/day. I'd pay maybe $40 - 50 for someone to come to my home ONE day a week.

Do you happen to know if that is what is charged per child? I will have 2 kids being watched by someone...

sweetkandimom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Holy wow!! I was only charged $35 a day when I needed a sitter.. at the time I had a newborn & a 2 1/2 yr old.. & both were still in diapers! I only charge $25 for the first & $10 for the additional.. I think its only fair.. Especially when your only making $7 or 8 an hour..

fullcup
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

For me personally, a young person with little experience wouldn't even be an option for me.  It just isn't a good fit with my expectations. 

Also to address another comment here in this same reply...I agree that regular/daily childcare in the home of a provider, $45-50 would be appropriate.  For just a once a week though, and in my home,  some providers charge more. 

Quoting RosePetalTears:

say an 18 yr old with babysitting siblings,neighbors, etc   vs someone that has been babysitting for 10+ yrs that is in their 30's?   

Blessings!
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Oh that's true. I wasn't thinking of it that way. :) :) In that case I probably would go $65 or $70 for one day. As you said, the kids will nap, and the sitter isn't having to come up with meals herself.

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting KairisMama:

Do you happen to know if that is what is charged per child? I will have 2 kids being watched by someone...

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Quoting sweetkandimom:

Holy wow!! I was only charged $35 a day when I needed a sitter.. at the time I had a newborn & a 2 1/2 yr old.. & both were still in diapers! I only charge $25 for the first & $10 for the additional.. I think its only fair.. Especially when your only making $7 or 8 an hour..

so you were only changed or you got charged?   are you doing daycare now?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)