Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

John Travolta's son dies in Bahamas

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

NASSAU (Reuters) - The teenage son of actor John Travolta died suddenly on Friday during a family vacation in the Bahamas, according to the family's lawyer.

Jett Travolta, 16, suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island, attorney Michael Ossi said.

Attempts were made to revive him, but he died at the scene, Ossi said.

Jett, who had a history of seizures, was the eldest child of Travolta and his wife, actress Kelly Preston. They also have a daughter, Ella Blue, who was born in 2000.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oimel00
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:50 PM

That's so sad, I wonder if drugs were involved...

amy1will
by Amethyst on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

No drugs. He had a history of seizures. This really scares me cause my 18month old son has seizures. I feel so bad for his family.

LopezMom924
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM

My heart goes out to them.

That is my ultimate fear.

November is Epilepsy Awareness Month.

mommydulce
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM

just read this on yahoo, its so sad. my heart goes out to him & his family. i couldn't imagine losing my son. <3

baby
Andrewsmom70
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM

It's widely known that Jett had autism but since John and Kelly were staunch Scientologists, it wouldn't surprise me any if they had him on some sort of supplements or other medicines that were supposed to "cure" his problem since they seem to think that there's no such thing as autism.

It's so very sad and from what I've read, they never did treat him very well, in comparison to how they treat their daughter.

BEXi
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Very good point about the scientology thing. Now I am pretty curious to know if they didnt have him on normal seizure medications because of their beliefs.. It just wouldnt surprise me.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

It's widely known that Jett had autism but since John and Kelly were staunch Scientologists, it wouldn't surprise me any if they had him on some sort of supplements or other medicines that were supposed to "cure" his problem since they seem to think that there's no such thing as autism.

It's so very sad and from what I've read, they never did treat him very well, in comparison to how they treat their daughter.

Rachel345
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Quoting amy1will:

No drugs. He had a history of seizures. This really scares me cause my 18month old son has seizures. I feel so bad for his family.

Now I could be completely wrong (and I probably am lol) but isn't part of the whole scientologist thing is that you don't take medicine? lol Clearly I don't know much about it, I just remember Tom Cruise's rant against Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants for PPD.

IF (and I know it's a big if) he wasn't taking meds for it, it would explain a lot.

Amy, is your son on meds? My nephew has been taking siezure meds for 4 years (he just turned 5) and the only time he seizures now is when hasn't had it.

Andrewsmom70
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Rachel345:

Quoting amy1will:

Now I could be completely wrong (and I probably am lol) but isn't part of the whole scientologist thing is that you don't take medicine? lol Clearly I don't know much about it, I just remember Tom Cruise's rant against Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants for PPD.

IF (and I know it's a big if) he wasn't taking meds for it, it would explain a lot.

Amy, is your son on meds? My nephew has been taking siezure meds for 4 years (he just turned 5) and the only time he seizures now is when hasn't had it.

Scientologists are big into herbal supplements and stuff like that- a lot of which aren't tested by the FDA.

amy1will
by Amethyst on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Joseph is on Keppra he gets 3xs a day. He has them every now and then. Mainly when he is getting out of warm water from his bath into the cold air. We had to go through about 3meds and different amounts till we found the right one for him.

Quoting Rachel345:

Quoting amy1will:

BEXi
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Quoting rebabeach2:

Given the functioning ability of this child and the fact John and Kelly are staunch Scientologists, I highly doubt drugs were involved.

If anything, the more likely situation is that they WEREN'T giving medications to him to help control the seizures.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. All i'm saying is that oimel's question was in fact not stupid at all, thats all. I personally dont think drugs were involved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)