Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cash Assistance? and Taxes

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

If you receive TANF( cash assistance) or food stamps, does this affect your tax return? Do they take your taxes to repay the state? I had help this year and i was just wondering if the state would take my taxes.   Any advice?

by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TAG2.0
by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 7:18 PM
What I found online:

Welfare payments are not gross income. No tax is owed on this money and it is not reported on the tax return. A person will receive no tax benefit by filing a tax return with only welfare payments.

However if a person receiving welfare payments also has gross income such as interest, wages, Social Security, then it is possible that the person will receive a refund based on the non-welfare income.

There are many taxpayers who do not have earned income who receive a refund of taxes withheld. Persons receiving investment income or pensions are examples.

Low-income wage earners who receive the Earned Income Credit are also receiving a form of government welfare. So in this case the tax refund itself is welfare. The Earned Income Credit is the largest welfare system in the United States.

Siggie by Mum2Alex.

hailnbray
by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 8:18 PM

i think for cash they make u pay that back so they may take what was paid in but they dont for food. when my cousin was on cash untill her child suport kicked in she had to start to pay back everything that was paid to her when she was getting the child suport.

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

https://www.autismclinicaltrial.com/index.aspx?bmscontentpg=autism

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2007/12/16/finnstrom.the.autistic.brain.cnn  

txmom-o-3
by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM

TANF or Food Stamps are not reported on your Federal Tax return.  TANF and Food Stamps are State run programs and therefore the rules governing any repayment will varry from State to State.  In Texas, if you are drawing TANF, Food Stamps or have your children on Medicaid because you are not collecting child support that you are due, then the State will go after the non custodial parent for repayment.  They will also sometimes reduce child support payments sent to you in order to recoupe some of what has been paid. 

shecallsmemom04
by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM

they usually do collect the money they gave to you in cash assistance at some point.  whether they take your taxes or not, i have no idea.  but i do know people who have money taken out of their child support payments.

"there is no greater feeling the the world, than the feeling you get when you save an animals life....be a part of the solution and not the problem, spay and neuter, report animal abuse, adopt, and save a life."

anziomom
by on Jan. 18, 2009 at 11:53 PM

They will not take tax money to repay TANF unless there was money owed(like an overpayment). That tax money is reported in your monthly income, so they already counted it towards your monthly grant. They will take it for unpaid child support.

Aladdin711
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

they usually do collect the money they gave to you in cash assistance at some point.  whether they take your taxes or not, i have no idea.  but i do know people who have money taken out of their child support payments.

Child support can be taken by the state up to the amount of assistance you have received, but TANF is never taxable income. 

Life is a JOURNEY...
          Don't Stop Believing!

shecallsmemom04
by on Jan. 20, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Aladdin711:

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

Child support can be taken by the state up to the amount of assistance you have received, but TANF is never taxable income. 

ummm, i know...LOL.  that's not what i said anyway...sorry you didn't make sense to me.  she asked if her taxes could be taken to REPAY the system, not if it was taxable......

"there is no greater feeling the the world, than the feeling you get when you save an animals life....be a part of the solution and not the problem, spay and neuter, report animal abuse, adopt, and save a life."

anziomom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I never had to pay back my TANF grant. That must be a state thing...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)