Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should i do?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: who shall file tax

Options:

mother

father

who ever support the kids financially

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

tax season is around i hate this time of year believe it or not. i hate fighting 4 money i like to be happy with no worry, so i never talk about money because i hate fight over it. ok my question is my kids father want to file 4 them. he worked more then me and pay more taxes then i do. he pay child support 4 the twins and do not help out with our youngest son. my kids live with me i am the one that do everything financially emotion and physically what should i do. let him file or should i our kids need bed clothes foot ware i am lost please help me and now the refund will haplp out a lot

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crystallynn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:19 AM

if they live with you- you should claim them.

millie798
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:22 AM

thank u i know this one is a fight

CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM

If they live with you and you are the one supporting them financially, YOU should file them...  he pays child support, then ok, he still has to notify that, but you should file for them...

wessica
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM

they live with you so they go on your taxes not his. he just has to say he pay child support on his tax retune for the and that all he can do.  you will get more money for you and ALL the KIDS if you file for them with you.

raerae1011
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:26 AM

just cause he pays child support doesn't mean he gets to claim your kids.  my ds birth mom pays child support, but there is no way in hell that she will claim him on taxes.  if the kids live with you and you have custody of them, then you need to claim them, not him.

Psychic_Iam_not
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:28 AM

You should look at your custody agreement, it might already have this covered.

I know in Wisconsin it is customary for each parent to be able to claim the children on opposite years, unless he is behind in child support. This is the way it is ordered, unless a different agreement is made before the order is filed.

Good luck with this, I know how stressful it can be when it comes down to the financial stuff.

shoegirl01
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:32 AM
I think you two should switch off each year. I think that's the only fair way to do it.

Having a bad day?  Come vent here WITHOUT the drama of the other groups!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsventing

jlsmith1862
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I agree with this one.

It was in my parents' custody agreement that my mother got to claim me and my father claimed my brother. However, since my father was never up to date on his CS, his return went to my mother.

Some custody agreements do state this information. NOT always. If it does not, then you would be the one to claim them because they live with you and you support them. In order for him to claim them, outside of a custody agreement, they would have to live with him for 6 or more months out of the year and he would have to be able to prove that he is their primary caregiver during that time period.

Quoting Psychic_Iam_not:

You should look at your custody agreement, it might already have this covered.

I know in Wisconsin it is customary for each parent to be able to claim the children on opposite years, unless he is behind in child support. This is the way it is ordered, unless a different agreement is made before the order is filed.

Good luck with this, I know how stressful it can be when it comes down to the financial stuff.

wintersmommy06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

you should claim them.

jabs54
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM

When we got divorced it was in our decree that we each declared our kids every other year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)