Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teenagers and swearing

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:58 AM
  • 14 Replies

What's your stance on teens (your child/ren) and swearing?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstnbecki
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:14 AM

I hate it when my friends teens swear so Im sure when my  youngest son  becomes a teen i wont put up with it till hes 18.My oldest is 19 and disabled he does not swear thank god.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM

I'm probably not the best person to ask on this, lol. I have a very different stance than most on "swear words". I'm a firm believer that you give words power when you make them taboo. My son has always been able to use "swear words" in the privacy of our own home. He understands that in society there is a set of rules that he has to follow, and does so accordingly. But within our family home, he's free to say whatever words cross his lips as long as he's not swearing AT someone. I can think of less than a handful of times in his 14 years that I've ever heard him use a swear word, lol. The appeal is not there, because it's never been a big deal.

And I want to clarify that there is a huge difference in swear words, and derogatory terms against people. While I still stand by my belief that words are only powerful if you let them become that way, I'm not so crass as to "prove" my point at the expense of other people's feelings. So I guess in a sense, things like racial epithets and slanderous words in general are my family's version of "bad words", lol.

ilovemeow.com

tracylynnr67
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM

We don't allow any swearing in the house. Even our adult sons don't swear in the house. Do they swear? Probably. Just not around females or children. Their dad taught them that from the time they were young. Guys have guy talk but it stays between the guys. My sons are 17, 18, 21 and 22.

lovinmyseabee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:28 AM

IDK...my mom "let" me start cussing around her at about 16 years old...she would understand if i was really upset and used cruse words, but around 16 i just started using them casually in conversation around her. she is a really cool mom.

RheaF
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:31 AM

When mine are teenagers they will not be allowed to swear around adults. I know they will do it with thier friends but its about respect to me.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:57 AM

My teens are NOT allowed to swear in my home.  What they do when I am not around, I don't know.  I do know teens today swear WAY more than we ever did.  Its really bad.  The F word is thrown around like crazy now. 

kristinaleann
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

my sister is 13 she just moved in with us this past week. The first thing my dh told her is there will be on cuss words said on our house. She has not said any. We have younger kids running around also. Now when she was at my moms house, she would cuss when she was talking with her friends and such

wintersmommy06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I agree with you!

Quoting Mom2theboy1994:

I'm probably not the best person to ask on this, lol. I have a very different stance than most on "swear words". I'm a firm believer that you give words power when you make them taboo. My son has always been able to use "swear words" in the privacy of our own home. He understands that in society there is a set of rules that he has to follow, and does so accordingly. But within our family home, he's free to say whatever words cross his lips as long as he's not swearing AT someone. I can think of less than a handful of times in his 14 years that I've ever heard him use a swear word, lol. The appeal is not there, because it's never been a big deal.

And I want to clarify that there is a huge difference in swear words, and derogatory terms against people. While I still stand by my belief that words are only powerful if you let them become that way, I'm not so crass as to "prove" my point at the expense of other people's feelings. So I guess in a sense, things like racial epithets and slanderous words in general are my family's version of "bad words", lol.

jabs54
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I don't swear so my kids don't swear, at least not in front of me ;)  My 17 yr old sometimes gets annoyed at all the swearing she hears at school and one time after this kid said something vile she said "I hope that's not the same mouth you eat out of"  He just looked at her and said "Huh?"  I think her response was something like "Oh great, and he's dumb too"   I know, not a nice response but frankly I agreed.

CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Well, after dealing with my youngest nephew and my husband's shithead brother I decided that if my son ever reaches that level of badness his ass is going to military school...  Neither of them were neglected, they both had everything they could ask for, good schools, caring parents, new clothes, etc...  Still they decided to be "bad apples"...  I am not going to live the life my mom had raising that kid or the headaches my MIL had with hers...  My husband doesnt like the idea much, but I am not raising a young delinquent... 

That is precisely why we do not swear in this house, and we also dont watch adult television when my son is awake, so far he's doing pretty good in that aspect...  But someday he will be going to school and learning the bad stuff out there from other kids so I better prepare myself mentally lol...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)