Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers or Homeschooling moms

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM
  • 13 Replies

How can I teach my son to read? He's behind in school and I've given up on the teacher there, with 29 students I think the one's who are behind just get left behind, so how can I teach him to catch him up?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shelia3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I am in the same boat with my son, so I hope there will be some replies, good luck.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Hooked on Phonics.  It does work. 

buppyluck
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Well I would love tell you it is going to be easy but it won't be, I am a Secondary school teacher (middle school/hs) but I am working on my MA in Special Ed, and quite a few of my kids cannot read. First a few questions, how old is your son? Why is he not reading? Is it lack of attention (either on his part or on the teacher's part) or can he just not read? Have you talked to his teacher about it? They might be overwhelmed (and it sounds like this is the case) but go and ask what kinds of things can they suggest to help him, this would be my first suggestion, that way you know exactly where he is at and don't waste time teaching him things he already knows. From there you will be able to start teaching him, your best bet is something like hooked on phonics (kind of pricey, but well worth the money)

Here are a few websites that are EXTREMELY helpful!

http://www.succeedtoread.com/

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=207

this one is a book: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985

I hope this helps you out, I wish I had more advice, but this is not really my area of expertise, sorry momma. Or you can try googling teacher stores in your area and go in and ask the people who work there, they should have TONS of good ideas to help your son as well as being able to recommend some great products k? Good luck and let me know if you need anything else k?

awblinkie.gif my life... image by lilwifeynyc  proudmomma.gif proud momma image by SHPJEMommy 

dhhaj
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Quoting buppyluck:

Well I would love tell you it is going to be easy but it won't be, I am a Secondary school teacher (middle school/hs) but I am working on my MA in Special Ed, and quite a few of my kids cannot read. First a few questions, how old is your son? Why is he not reading? Is it lack of attention (either on his part or on the teacher's part) or can he just not read? Have you talked to his teacher about it? They might be overwhelmed (and it sounds like this is the case) but go and ask what kinds of things can they suggest to help him, this would be my first suggestion, that way you know exactly where he is at and don't waste time teaching him things he already knows. From there you will be able to start teaching him, your best bet is something like hooked on phonics (kind of pricey, but well worth the money)

Here are a few websites that are EXTREMELY helpful!

http://www.succeedtoread.com/

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=207

this one is a book: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985

I hope this helps you out, I wish I had more advice, but this is not really my area of expertise, sorry momma. Or you can try googling teacher stores in your area and go in and ask the people who work there, they should have TONS of good ideas to help your son as well as being able to recommend some great products k? Good luck and let me know if you need anything else k?

He is 6 and in Kindergarden. I think maybe the teacher only pays attention to the acheivers. I have talked to her a lot, to the special ed teacher, the principal. Right now he is being tested for ADD/ADHD, but I really don't think that is it. He has no letter recognition.

In preschool he did great and loved it. He hates school now. He comes home misreble. One of the strange things is he doesn't even want me to read him stories anymore, that use to be his favorite thing. I know he can learn, he was advanced in preschool, he's a smart kid, he was quick to learn everything. But now all of a sudden it is one teacher and 29 students and she is a new teacher, this is her first year teaching. I don't want him to be let back, I just want to help him.

ninipanini
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:44 AM

First, read to him.  Let him see you reading, and read to him as much as possible.  Phonics are the basis, if he understands that each letter stands for a certain sound, then he's well on his way to sounding out, which is the next step.  Slow and steady runs the race.  Make sure you spend as much time on each step that he's mastered it completely before you move on, that's how they get discouraged.

ninipanini

NicoleKelly
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM

The homeschooling moms are probably homeschooling at this time.....so I will give you some advice.  My son goes to a private school teacher/child ration is 1-5.  He didn't learn to read at school....I taught him.  I bought index cards & wrote "site-words" on them & taught him that way.  Then I went to a teachers store &  bought  site word readers.  My son is ahead for his age in reading now.  The teachers act shocked about it, probably because they know they didn't teach him. (sometimes I wonder why I pay for him to go to a private school, because I'm not seeing any benefits yet)  I like to give myself props for it, because I worked/work really hard with him.  Reading is everything IMO.  Hope this helps.

good luck

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I also wanted to suggest Sylvan if you can afford it.  Its done wonders for my daughter several different times in English/reading/grammar, Math, and study skills.  She is a senior now I am am hoping for the first time since 7th grade she will have all B's this semester.  It all hinges on this weeks finals. 

dhhaj
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I also wanted to suggest Sylvan if you can afford it.  Its done wonders for my daughter several different times in English/reading/grammar, Math, and study skills.  She is a senior now I am am hoping for the first time since 7th grade she will have all B's this semester.  It all hinges on this weeks finals. 

I called Sylvan, I would have to sell my right kidney and my house and live the rest of our lives in a box to send him there. It was my first thought though, I heard they are wonderful.

JnKsMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM

www.Starfall.com

this site has done wonders for both of my children. my son started playing on it when he was two....

they have letters, where you can hear the sound, a word that goes with it and see the letter at the same time.  I would definately give it a try. Its Free!

KellyChristal
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM

All the PP's have given good advice.  I really like the site words idea.  Get index cards and for everything in the house, write the name of that item on the index card and tape it to the item.  Ex:  T.V. taped to the tv...chair taped to chair.  This will get him to notice the fact that words and things in his world go together.  Then make sure you read to him for at least 30 minutes a day, like it or not...I recommend books with pictures...after each page ask him comprehension questions, what is happening, where did so and so go...etc.  Then, spend a couple mins a day having him write his letters.  if he watches TV put on the closed captioning so that he sees that words go along with speech...Encourage him.  EVERY time he draws a picture..as him what he drew, and then have him write one sentence telling about the picture on the bottom of the page...at first you can transcribe for him, but as he gets better then he should do it.  Offer rewards...be very affirmative when he shows interest and goes above what you expected....and expect a lot.  He can do it....let him feel positive reinforcement and attention.  I have a feeling he is not getting the attention he needs at school, and the fact that he has been bullied means he might be shutting down all together in class...which will get him no where.  Some how you need to get across to him that mental strength wins more races...

He will get better...try not worry too much!

I am a 30 year old motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)