Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Been in the white house a day, and already doing good!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM
  • 25 Replies

White House orders halt to all pending Bush regulations for review

Tue Jan 20, 7:25 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama's new administration ordered all federal agencies and departments on Tuesday to stop any pending regulations until they can be reviewed by incoming staff, halting last-minute Bush orders in their tracks.

"This afternoon, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel signed a memorandum sent to all agencies and departments to stop all pending regulations until a legal and policy review can be conducted by the Obama administration," the White House said in a statement issued just hours after Obama took office.

The review is a tool commonly used by a new administration to delay so-called "midnight regulations" put in place by a former president between the election and Inauguration Day.

Midnight regulations have been heavily used by recent former presidents, including the Democrat Bill Clinton, Republican George H. W. Bush, and most recently, the Republican George W. Bush.

Controversial late rules by the outgoing Bush administration include allowing the carrying of concealed weapons in some national parks and prohibiting medical facilities from receiving federal money for discriminating against doctors and nurses who refuse to assist with abortions or dispense contraceptives based on religious grounds.

Federal law requires a 60-day waiting period before any major regulatory changes become law, so some presidents try to publish new major regulations to ensure they go into effect before the new president's inauguration on January 20

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2theboy1994
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Based on this line of the article:

Quote:

The review is a tool commonly used by a new administration to delay so-called "midnight regulations" put in place by a former president between the election and Inauguration Day.

I'm thinking what he's doing is more typical than good. But I guess it's a matter of opinion. :)

ilovemeow.com

adrianna1043
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Whats wrong with the concealed weapons in National Parks? 

19D_mom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Seriously. If I get attacked by a bear I'm going to wish I had a gun.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Photobucket

dancer33
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM
Quoting adrianna1043:

You can have a gun in the park you just can hid it and be sneaky about it. You can have it in you truck on a gun rack just not hidden in your bag without anyone knowing it is there.

Journey81
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Yeah and I would hope everyone would be glad for that.

Quoting dancer33:

You can have a gun in the park you just can hid it and be sneaky about it. You can have it in you truck on a gun rack just not hidden in your bag without anyone knowing it is there.

coffeefirst
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I'm fairly sure that he will undo everything Bush did as soon as he is able. His party controls everything so they call all the shots.

Lanasmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Good? Thats a matter of your opinon.

baby

pregnant

zoeysmom331
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I think its a good thing. Bush tried to push so many things through at the last minute that I personally think need to be re-reviewed. Not all of them were good things

Just because she calls me Mom does not mean I am going to stop being Jen

ScrewednTattood
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I 2nd that... its just an opinion.

Quoting Lanasmom:

Good? Thats a matter of your opinon.

ain-gell72
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM

GOOD? really?

he is doing what he is supposed to be doing! lol

give him at least a week to do something worth posting about as good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)