Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

frustrated with cigarettes

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

So my husband was supposed to quit smoking on saturday. he bought his last pack on thursday and on saturday morning, he had 2 left..... he ended up smoking both cigarettes that day.... sunday-tuesday he wore the patch. he's decided that he doesnt like the patches, so this morning he bought a pack of cigarettes.... ugh

He said he will smoke 4 today, and go from there... that he wants to cut down until he can quit without the patches.

I can't help but feel disappointed. I know that he can quit if he really puts his mind to it... It just seems like he doesn't really want to quit, and it's holding him back....

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstnbecki
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM

If he doesnt want to quit then he wont you have to want to in order to quit.

lilmaiyagirl
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM

You just need to support him, he will quit when he is ready. And when he does, make sure he knows that you are there to help him. I quit smoking 26 days ago, Yes it has been hard but I have had the support of my husband and my kids to help me through my "I NEED A CIGGY" moments.While you may be frustrated that he has not quit yet, you cannot force him to quit either, he needs to do it on his terms because if he tries to do it on your terms he probably will not quit.

Ann7227
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM

It's a bad habit to quit. I should know. But I am not a heavy smoker either. I just quit 3 weeks ago. I smoked off and on for 12 years. I would just not get on him he'll just use that to smoke more. I hope he does quit.

lilmaiyagirl
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

He should try Chantix, that is what I am on and it works really well.

Tajcc
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Sorry. Dh and I quit together 3-21-07... 6 months later he started back up. He keeps saying he'll quit but never does. I really wish he would too. Now he hides from me like I can't smell it on him.

It's frustrating. We had two close family members diagnosed with lung cancer this year. Neither were suppose to make it but somehow they have, on top of them my granddad past from throat cancer in 02 so you'd think that would be enough of a reason, was for me.

preg.w3
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM

i personally know how hard it is to quit, but  he also has to want to quit and if he still is making cigs available to,,ie buying them then hes truley not wanting to quit

raerae1011

my hubby is trying to quit.  but i know it's a process, and yes sometimes you feel disappointed, but give him the support he needs.  everytime hubby starts doing good, something comes up that stresses him out and he ends up smoking more.  and he needs to be 100% ready to quit.  not just because you want him to, but that he wants to too.

Momsince1106

thanx to every1 for your comments.

I know he has to really want to quit. He said that he left part of a cigarette in an ash tray on our porch so a few days after he quit he could smoke it and be like "eww, this is nasty"

well, i emptied the ash trays on sunday so he wouldnt see them and want to smoke.... he doesn't know i did it, he thinks my sister got rid of it (she's a smoker and she was here yesterday)

Kristjansmama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Quitting smoking is very very very hard.  It IS an addiction & tough to kick.  I ve quit a million times & even after YEARS of not smoking I ve still craved em & started again.  Support him.  My husband had good luck with Chantix but he had to quit taking it because of side effects.  Ive heard lots of people do well with it though.

Momsince1106
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM

his dad was on that for awhile... and then started back up.

i think he's worried about the increased risk of suicide with chantix. he's under a lot of stress from work, so he thinks the chantix would make it worse.

Quoting lilmaiyagirl:

He should try Chantix, that is what I am on and it works really well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)