Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son hates...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM
  • 22 Replies

milk... what can I do? He is going to be 1 in a few weeks and every other day or so I have offered him milk to try and wean him from formula (he is down to 2-3 bottles a day) but he takes one sip and WILL NOT drink anymore. At what point is this a problem? Anyone else experience this?

(plus Milk is expensive and Idont drink it at all so I really hate wasting it!)

I'll do it my way, you do it yours. :-)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Journey81
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Why do you feel he needs it?

LiChanelsMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My daughter does that. Shes older so I tell her she need to have a tippy of milk before she can have water/juice... But when she was younger I would put just a little bit or sugar, honey, or vanilla in it to sweeten it up... or else put chocolate or strawberry mix in it. Also, I give her pediasure which is a good milk substitute (esp. w/ lactose kids) which kids usually like.

GOBryan
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Try either chocolate COW milk or even milk with vanilla or strawberry in it.

My son loves COW milk but because he's Autistic, we switched him to Almond Milk with Vanilla.. I thought we'd have a problem but he absolutely loves it also. Now he brings me the almond milk instead of the cow milk when he wants some.

MimiStacie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Try cutting the formula with milk. Each time you give him a bottle add a little bit more milk than the time before. Is the milk bottle colder than the formula bottle? If so try warming the milk a little.

Sorry but that's all I can think of right now.

iggylove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My daughter hated milk too, flavored or not. I breastfed until she was 19 months old. She loved yougurt, cheese and cottage cheese, so I eventually stopped stressing over it.

LiChanelsMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

You just reminded me of something! Rice Milk! It's great for kids and they tend to like it. My DD has CP and she sensitive to foods... but she loved Rice milk when she was one.. and it was easy on the stomach Also, have you tried Soy Milk? He may like the taste of it better.

...These products are typically in the health food section of the grocery store.. or somewhere on a shelf... not always in the refrigerator section.

Quoting GOBryan:

My son loves COW milk but because he's Autistic, we switched him to Almond Milk with Vanilla.. I thought we'd have a problem but he absolutely loves it also. Now he brings me the almond milk instead of the cow milk when he wants some.

AMsMommy212
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Quoting Journey81:

Why do you feel he needs it?

to get off formula, he eats regular food through out the day. There is no need to be on formula any longer than one year. At least that is what I have read/heard/and been told by family friends and his pedi.

If you are asking why he needs milk i guess he doesnt NEED it but it is a great source of calcium and other nutrients. If other things fail I will (obviously) find another way to get him those things :-)

AMsMommy212
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Quoting MimiStacie:

Try cutting the formula with milk. Each time you give him a bottle add a little bit more milk than the time before. Is the milk bottle colder than the formula bottle? If so try warming the milk a little.

Sorry but that's all I can think of right now.

i should try that.. i've been told its a bad idea and a good idea so... ill just give it a shot.. :-) thanks

amber1216
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Try vanilla flavored soy milk.....it also comes in plain and chocolate. People who are lactose intolerate drink it for a milk substitute. Also just because a kid doesn't like something one day doesn't mean he won't like it in a few months.....so don't give up on milk yet =)

AMsMommy212
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Quoting LiChanelsMommy:

You just reminded me of something! Rice Milk! It's great for kids and they tend to like it. My DD has CP and she sensitive to foods... but she loved Rice milk when she was one.. and it was easy on the stomach Also, have you tried Soy Milk? He may like the taste of it better.

...These products are typically in the health food section of the grocery store.. or somewhere on a shelf... not always in the refrigerator section.

Quoting GOBryan:

could be worth a shot thanks!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)