Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advice from others...have you used "MagicJack" for phone service?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM
  • 19 Replies

Have you bought and used MagicJack for your phone service? I'm having difficulty finding a way to get the internet without having a phone line. We have direct TV and it doesn't offer internet.  I looked at Hughes Net, but MagicJack doesn't work with sattelite internet. Help!! Any experienced users out there?

If you have a pug, or just like pugs, come join the fun!!

Pug Mommies *snort*snort*
http://www.cafemom.com/group/snortsnort

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dhhaj
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM

We have MagicJack but we only have ME, so we have to upgrade our software before we can use it.

MiasMama123
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Wish I could---  I don't have cable/sattelite, but I REALLY want to get rid of the phone and just have internet!  Would save a bundle...  I am curious to know now!

dhhaj
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Quoting MiasMama123:

Wish I could---  I don't have cable/sattelite, but I REALLY want to get rid of the phone and just have internet!  Would save a bundle...  I am curious to know now!

It's really worth it, it only cost $40 a year and you can plug it in to anyone's computer and it doesn't cost them anything for you to use it there. It covers local and long distance, I can't wait until we can afford to upgrade our software.

MiasMama123
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Quoting dhhaj:

Quoting MiasMama123:

It's really worth it, it only cost $40 a year and you can plug it in to anyone's computer and it doesn't cost them anything for you to use it there. It covers local and long distance, I can't wait until we can afford to upgrade our software.

Okay, but I have to pay for a phone line to have my internet hooked up, even with DSL!!!  Does that make sense, or is it just the stupid phone/internet provider that we have, that has a monopoly on our county?  We have no other choice but to go thru them....  it wouldn't be any use for me, then, right?

babydoll1020
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

That's my problem. I can't seem to find an internet service provider that doesn't require a phone line, so it wouldn't do me any good. I want to know how all these people are saving money or where they are getting their internet to use it. I am dying to save that money if I can. The phone companies just annoy me like the gas and electric companies because I feel like they just have you over a barrel and you have no options.  I am dying to get rid of this phone service.

dhhaj
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Quoting MiasMama123:

Quoting dhhaj:

Quoting MiasMama123:

Okay, but I have to pay for a phone line to have my internet hooked up, even with DSL!!!  Does that make sense, or is it just the stupid phone/internet provider that we have, that has a monopoly on our county?  We have no other choice but to go thru them....  it wouldn't be any use for me, then, right?

It might be the provider you have, you might just have to call around and see if there is anyone else.

dhhaj
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Quoting babydoll1020:

That's my problem. I can't seem to find an internet service provider that doesn't require a phone line, so it wouldn't do me any good. I want to know how all these people are saving money or where they are getting their internet to use it. I am dying to save that money if I can. The phone companies just annoy me like the gas and electric companies because I feel like they just have you over a barrel and you have no options.  I am dying to get rid of this phone service.

We save the money by not having a phone bill and we took the cheapest DSL offer we could find.

babydoll1020
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM

What DSL providers do you have? All of them that I have called locally, and all that I have found on the internet all require an active telephone line or telephone service. Which ones do you have that don't require that?

ssippi
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:58 AM
I have cable internet but I use vonage and have for almost 18 months now and love it....except when the cable goes out!
KiddiesSigns.com BannerKiddiesSigns.com Banner
KiddiesSigns.com Banner
emily351982
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM

My dad got it for my brother but I think he's got cable internet.  I really don't know much about it but was thinking about getting it in the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)