Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Icky eye??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is 2 months old and has an eye that has been getting crusted over with goop a lot lately. She had a clogged tear duct when she was born (the ped. mentioned it) but now this crustiness is getting worse and we are constantly having to clear it off so her eye doesn't shut and she can see. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do or if I should mention it to her pediatrician again. Any ideas?

graphics for moms

Breastfeeding. Church-going Christian. Childhood Abuse Survivor.Pro-Life. Anti- Death Penalty. Anti- CIO. NEWLY Anti- Vaccinating(ask me). Disposable Diapering. LOVING mama of two, Madison Liliana Faye (06/20/07) and Isabelle Serenity Rose (11/12/08)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazyMom5480
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I've never had to deal with it, but I've read on here where some women have suggested putting a little bit of breastmilk on it.  You might want to try that.  Supposedly it helps a lot.  Otherwise I would mention to the pediatrician at the next appointment.

Another thought is the possibility of pink eye.  Has she been exposed to that?  Since she has the tear duct problem that's probably what it is and nothing like pink eye.  I'm just guessing in my inexperience.

Adkins4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:55 PM

My son had this too, what I did was I massaged his tear duct with a warm washcloth a couple times during the day, it helped. If she doesn't grow out of it by what I was told one year they go and open it up surgically. Just keep it clean and try the warm washcloth thing! If her eye starts looking irriated take her to the dr. it is probably infection, my son got it and I had to put medicine in his eye twice a day! Good luck!

mama2my2girls
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM

My son has that and it gets worse when he's congested. My 2 year old had it also and the same was true for her.

baby boy           blowing bubbles
Our sweet boy           Our baby girl              Our princess
Thomas James        Alexis Paige               Taylor Nichole
June 23, 2008           Sept. 28, 2006            April 16, 2001

april573
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:13 PM

My nephew had this and when I would babysit him I would keep a thin layer of vaseline on his eye.  It is safe and it keeps from having to really wipe it to get it clean.  The vaseline worked but he did eventually have to have them opened.  Good luck!

misty0207
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:15 PM

my daughter had it when she was that age too.  Her pediatician gave us eyedrops to use for 10 days it cleared up iin 2.  Good luck

MonicasMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:16 PM

My daughter had this and we found out she has severe allergies... I would talk to the doctor about it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

My daughter had a clogged tear duct and got pink eye.  I would have it looked at .  She had to do drops and oral antibiotics at 1 month old. 

Autumn22
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:36 PM

BREAST MILK!!!!!

When my baby was about a week old, she got a clogged tear duct.  I found out not too long ago that that is caused mainly by that silver gunk that the doctors put in their eyes when they are born...which is actually totally not needed because they test the mothers when they first come in to see if they have an STD.  Great money maker that silver nitrate is! :( So anyway, I took her to the doctor and they RX some meds and said it could take up to a year to clear up.  I was NOT Ok with that.  I went home, got online and asked other moms what I should do.  A lot of them said to put breast milk in her eye.  I did and it cleared up OVER NIGHT.  So put breast milk in the eye I'd say really every 15 minutes or so.  Just keep doing it until it's all cleared up.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Momsince1106
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM

ur not like directly squirting into her eye, r u?

that'd suck, i wouldnt want anything being squirted into my eye

Quoting Autumn22:

BREAST MILK!!!!!

When my baby was about a week old, she got a clogged tear duct.  I found out not too long ago that that is caused mainly by that silver gunk that the doctors put in their eyes when they are born...which is actually totally not needed because they test the mothers when they first come in to see if they have an STD.  Great money maker that silver nitrate is! :( So anyway, I took her to the doctor and they RX some meds and said it could take up to a year to clear up.  I was NOT Ok with that.  I went home, got online and asked other moms what I should do.  A lot of them said to put breast milk in her eye.  I did and it cleared up OVER NIGHT.  So put breast milk in the eye I'd say really every 15 minutes or so.  Just keep doing it until it's all cleared up.

Autumn22
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM

It's better than eye drops, eh?  Yeah, I put it in her eye.  I'd rather do that than have her have a clogged tear duct which could result in surgery.

Quoting Momsince1106:

ur not like directly squirting into her eye, r u?

that'd suck, i wouldnt want anything being squirted into my eye

Quoting Autumn22:

BREAST MILK!!!!!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)