Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers in Beauty Pageants

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM
  • 71 Replies

"On any given weekend, on stages across the country, little girls and boys parade around wearing makeup, false eyelashes, spray tans and fake hair to be judged on their beauty, personality and costumes." ~ From TLC, website, regarding Toddlers and Tiaras

What do you think of pageants for toddlers?

May I thank God every day for my family...

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:37 AM

If that's the case I find it wrong and disturbing...  I think a toddler beauty pageant should show "real" toddlers, u know, cute, innocent, kids being kids...  Not kids dressed as adults IMO...

Quoting CubasFamily:

"On any given weekend, on stages across the country, little girls and boys parade around wearing makeup, false eyelashes, spray tans and fake hair to be judged on their beauty, personality and costumes." ~ From TLC, website, regarding Toddlers and Tiaras

What do you think of pageants for toddlers?

ilovebopbear
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM

I watched that show because I am addicted to reality..it's an illness.

I found it kind of odd. I felt one was pressured to win so that she could win the entry fee back.  Seems to spendy for my taste.  Too each their own though, I guess.

YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:08 AM

There's a middle ground.

Sadly, on TV, the pageants you see are god awful.  Little girls in tons of makeup, big old poofy hair, age inappropriate clothing...to say nothing of the "pro-am" modeling (dancing/modeling that resembles stripping).  These pageants are often called "glitz" and that is interchangeable wioth "southern" (even if held in NY, this type pageant is called southern or glitz...)  IMO, these are inappropriate, and probably about the mother's own interests. 

However, the reason these are the type TV shows focus on, is because they are the really sensational type and they get people to sit glued to the TV...and ratings=money.  It's like anything.  Jerry SPringer gets the bottom of the barrel...because it sells.  Same concept.

There are pageants where the kids look wholesome, where makeup is not allowed on little ones, where you can not win on being pretty alone and can be the prettiest one out there and lose because you don't have the talent, personality, volunteer hours, etc. 

My daughter asked at about 4 to do pageants.  We allowed her to do Natural pageants.  All in all, each time we went it was a fun family experience...  While she won often (more often than not) we never pressured her or focused on winning.  She was appropriately dressed, no makeup (nothing fake at all...), etc.  It really was just something that she wanted to try and we made it a family fun experience.  As she got older 9, 10...she was much more actively involved in more serious pursuits and I had to tell her that we had to cut WAY back on them because she could not pursue the other activities and be at pageants once a month...  It cut into dance time and other things.  She still asks to do them, and we may do one this spring...

I don't think it is a bad thing, if kept in perspective!

SabbyMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:30 AM

I was in one of these when I was about 3...I remember being on stage, talking into a microphone, and I remember getting some kind of trophy (no idea where it is today) And if this is the kind of pageant a child is in, one that can boost their confidence, it can be good for them... IF they win... If they don't.... Telling a child they just aren't cute enough, or talented enough can be very damaging to a child,especially at such a young age...there are two sides to this coin...

The makeup, frills, and fake lashes pageants IMO are all wrong... The are great for pedophiles... I can't see any other point. Children are not dolls and should not be dressed up and treated as such.

Quoting YuppyMom:

There are pageants where the kids look wholesome, where makeup is not allowed on little ones, where you can not win on being pretty alone and can be the prettiest one out there and lose because you don't have the talent, personality, volunteer hours, etc. 

Proud mommy of Tristan Alexander!

baby boyTristan is 4 months old.

Da1nOnlyDestiny
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM

i think moms who do this to their children are evil and should have their children taken from them.

txmom-o-3
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM

The baby/toddler pagents can be alot of fun, if you are doing them just for fun.  My first DD was in one, 1 time, and we had a blast.  She was right at 1yr old, and she did win a trophy.  I only did it the one time though because I really could not get over how sad I felt for some of the older girls.  Some of the moms were so into it, they had these poor kids with all this makeup, and from conversations I was over hearing, these poor kids were not allowed to be kids, you know, play, get dirty.  It made me sad for them. 

rissah
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM

My DD is 2 and she loves being on stage. I don't put her in makeup or spray tans or anything,at this age it shouldn't be ( and isn't in our circuit) allowed. She has won many titles and goes back to State and Internationals this year. We agreed to do this until it is no longer fun for her then we'll stop. Until then it's Happy Pageantry. How do you think a lot of the top models in the world were discovered? It wasn't by sitting in the house and the only one noticing how pretty and talented she is, is family and friends.

Momsince1106
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM

if the child truely wants to do it and has fun, thats fine with me

but when parents spray tan their child, get them fake teeth, cover them in makeup and fake eyelashes, and put them in skanky outfits it's disgusting

One of my ex-boss's grandchildren was in a bunch of child pageants and her mom would dye her hair and all this other crap

Domzmom2005
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I think that if the child WANTS to be in the pageant then it's fine...it isn't too far from dance or sports, as long as the parents aren't pushing them into it I say go for it!

oimel00
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I would never have my child in one. I think they cannot be good for the child's self-esteem, to be parading them in adult clothing and make-up only to have them be judged on appearances, I think it teaches them to base their value on looks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)