Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever rented out a room in your house? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM
  • 9 Replies

Dh and I really need to bring in some extra cash and we were considering renting out a room in our house. The way our house is set up is that the master bedroom and bathroom are on the first floor along with the livingroom and kitchen. Upstairs there is my DD's playroom, another full bathroom, DD's bedroom and an empty bedroom. DH and I were thinking we could move our bedroom upstairs to the empty room and try to rent out the master bedroom and bath. We absolutely will not just rent out the bedroom upstairs because I don't want someone of nonrelation slleping that close to my DD or using her bathroom. Well my questions are #1 is it wrong to rent a room to a stranger when we have a 2 year old DD? #2 how much rent is appropraite to ask for? #3 should we provide a bedroom furniture and a TV  in the rented room? I know of course that we should ask for some references and really check out possibe renters and that we need to get a legit contract, is there anything else we should know? Also is this just a crappy idea all together (I'm not completely sold on the idea yet) and should we scrap it?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Julie1976
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM

My brother rented out a room at his house but he knew the guy.  I know that's not much help to you, sorry.  But i'd feel more comfortable renting to someone I know than some stranger, especially with kids in the house.  And you don't know the person so how would you know if they are taking off with everything downstairs in the middle of the night or not?  If you know of someone personally, or have friends that know someone personally, that would maybe make you feel more comfortable renting out the space.  Good Luck!

Julie

ColeyRene
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Ummmm.....no. I would rent out a room to someone that I knew very well (but only if I was desparate for some extra money), but I wouldnt rent out a room to just some stranger off the street. I wouldnt post an ad on craigslist for it, or advertise some other way like that. And I would never ever rent a room to someone that I felt like I needed to move my bedroom closer to my daughter because I was afraid of leaving the roommate upstairs with her.

Honestly, I dont think its worth renting the room out at all. The extra money that you make will not be worth the inconveniences that it will cause.

PrydferthMenyw
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM

First of all, you need to find out what the regulations are for your town/city/county/state are in regards to renting a room within your home.  If you own your home then you won't have to deal with a landlord, but there may be regulations still.

I agree that I would not want a stranger on the same floor as my daughter, but I would rather the roomer/boarder had their own entrance, too.  Renting out to a stranger is extremely difficult when you will be living in the same home as them.  After all, you will have to put up with their schedule, their noise level, their eating and cleaning habits, and then you will need to realize that you will be sharing the common areas with them - kitchen, living room, laundry room, driveway, etc.  And don't forget, you can't tell them that they can't have a couple friends over or an intimate partner staying overnight.  Yes, it's your house, but if they pay rent then they have rights, too.

Sometimes it is better to rent to a person you know, but then again, it could put a strain on your relationship and end sourly if you end up not getting along.  Let us say someone you felt comfortable with moves in and decides to "help" you out by rearranging your cabinets, cooking your meals (to be nice) with foods that you are not used to, speaking up automatically to tell your child what or what not to do, washing and folding your clothes that just happened to be in the laundry room, or even taking your phone calls in your absence.  Or, at the other extreme - not cleaning up after themselves, leaving their laundry in the washer and dryer for a long time when you need to do yours, taking food and drinks into their room and not bringing the dirty dishes out again, hammering nails into the walls to hang things up, spilling things on your carpet and not cleaning it up - so many things ruin a relationship with someone you know.

Think long and hard about this and make a list of all the Pros and Cons.  Find out the laws and regulations that apply to you.  Discuss with other people who have done this sort of thing to get their honest feedback (I have and you just got mine).  And then think on it a long while before coming to a decision.  Also remember, once you take in a boarder and accept rent you then become a landlord and have to abide by all the legalities that are required of a landlord, so you may want to research that, as well.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM

NO never. I like people to visit but them leave~It would be weird to see someone other than my family at my breakfast table.If you rent it out How do you prevent them from having overnight guests? Also remember last weeks post her and hubby rented out a room Now she is humping the guy ? No thanks.

Find a job at night or off hours from your hubby If you have to.I just think this opens the door to more problems then its worth.

Jada1838
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM

In the past five years, I have been renting a room in my two bedroom condo.  I needed the extra cash and I have no regret in doing so.  I only rent to someone how is attending college or university full-time and I always requested two references and a copy of their drivers license.  I also draw up a policy for the rules that is required to live in my home and have them sign it before I gave them a copy.  Whenever, i notice that a rule is not being follow, i requested to have a meeting to discuss the issue at hand. Most of the time we are able to work things out, but there are also times when I had to ask the student to find another home that is more suitable for them. I would suggest that you contact schools, colleges or university in your area and speak with them regarding international students or students moving from other states to to your state.  Good Luck and Peac Always

BCGirl
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM

We have thought about renting out our extra room at times also, but we both are not real comfortable with it.

I would have a background check done with your local police department also. 

However I would suggest the more amenities you offer, the more rent you can charge.  I would give the tenant the options to bring in their own furniture.   If you don't have any ,  just tell them they have to supply it.   I would include the basic rent, the cost for extra electricity they would be using (hair driers, tv, pc, microwave,  dorm fridge,  cell phone chargers whatever)  If they eat with you I would include the price of food, many call it board, If you provide them with cable and inter net service, I would charge them at least 1/4 of the cost for either.  You can break it down to detail (add ons) or you can charge them on lump sum.

Also you and your husband are going to have to allow them food storage, either in their room or in your kitchen. Unless you just charge them board for food.  If you do lump it into the rent, you should make it clear the board included is for the tenate only, if they have guests on a regular basis rummaging threw your fridge, that is extra.

VincentsYaya
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this! We have thought about doing this, but your post has really given me some food for thought!!

Quoting PrydferthMenyw:

First of all, you need to find out what the regulations are for your town/city/county/state are in regards to renting a room within your home.  If you own your home then you won't have to deal with a landlord, but there may be regulations still.

I agree that I would not want a stranger on the same floor as my daughter, but I would rather the roomer/boarder had their own entrance, too.  Renting out to a stranger is extremely difficult when you will be living in the same home as them.  After all, you will have to put up with their schedule, their noise level, their eating and cleaning habits, and then you will need to realize that you will be sharing the common areas with them - kitchen, living room, laundry room, driveway, etc.  And don't forget, you can't tell them that they can't have a couple friends over or an intimate partner staying overnight.  Yes, it's your house, but if they pay rent then they have rights, too.

Sometimes it is better to rent to a person you know, but then again, it could put a strain on your relationship and end sourly if you end up not getting along.  Let us say someone you felt comfortable with moves in and decides to "help" you out by rearranging your cabinets, cooking your meals (to be nice) with foods that you are not used to, speaking up automatically to tell your child what or what not to do, washing and folding your clothes that just happened to be in the laundry room, or even taking your phone calls in your absence.  Or, at the other extreme - not cleaning up after themselves, leaving their laundry in the washer and dryer for a long time when you need to do yours, taking food and drinks into their room and not bringing the dirty dishes out again, hammering nails into the walls to hang things up, spilling things on your carpet and not cleaning it up - so many things ruin a relationship with someone you know.

Think long and hard about this and make a list of all the Pros and Cons.  Find out the laws and regulations that apply to you.  Discuss with other people who have done this sort of thing to get their honest feedback (I have and you just got mine).  And then think on it a long while before coming to a decision.  Also remember, once you take in a boarder and accept rent you then become a landlord and have to abide by all the legalities that are required of a landlord, so you may want to research that, as well.

bMastives
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I'm doing it right now. My SO left at the beginning of the month, so I'm renting our extra room out to a girl the works at my bank.

So far, it's working out AWESOME! :) She's excellent with Jackie. :)

fawn321
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I wouldn't do it... especially with little kids. This works great for single people and roomates, but I don't hear a lot of good about it with families. The renter will be upset by the your kids.  You'll be upset with something they say...

I'm sure this could work out for the right people but I think the odds are against it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)