Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stoves....opinions please

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:14 AM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Gas or Electric

Options:

Gas

Electric

Other...there always is one....maybe you have wood stove, and if so. You are really lucky because I love the way those smell!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

My husband and I are looking to buy a house, and there is one house that would be really nice, it's only ten years old, and has a master quite on the first floor that my handicap mother-in-law would get.  We are waiting to find out if it has a garage, and how big the yard is, cause those will be some of the deciding factors. We already have questions in for age of furnace, siding, roofing, bla bla bla.

My problem with it, is it has this really wonderful kitchen with lots of cabinet space and what seems to be updated appliances, but it has a GAS stove. I don't like gas stoves. I know they cook different than an electric stove and you have to worry of the pilot light going out and leaking gas, and I have a 21 month old and we are TTC. And, in order to put in an electric stove, we'd have to rewire it which mean hiring an electrician and buying a stove. Nto sure how much this would cost, and if we decide to go with this house, I would definately down-bid the offer they have up. As, we need to build a ramp for my mother in law to safely get into the house, and then replace the stove.

My questions is.....do you prefer gas or electric on your stove choice. And, feel free to post why.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Electric only because I'm used to it.

My name is Nicole and I'm A 24 Year Old Unmarried, Agnostic, Obama supporting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Semi-Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

*^* If there is a God who will damn his children forever, I would rather go to hell than to go to heaven and keep the society of such an infamous tyrant. *^*  Robert G. Ingersoll

ranchers_wife
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I have used both. For the first 20 yrs of my life my mom had an electric stove so thats all I knew. Elements have to be replaced from time to time, and issues arise with the ovens sometimes and like the one Thanksgiving the potatoes boiled over and killed the stove.

Then my mom got a large home in '03 and I moved back in with her. It had a gas stove, a really nice gas stove, and we loved it!! As long as all the lines were done properly the first time, you should be ok. Thats where the home inspection comes in. The stove cooks so evenly, and the oven its a convection too, omg love it.

Now I am back out on my own, with a darn electric stove. Actually just replaced the one in this house because we were having soooo many issues with the elements not working at all.

alexisw
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Gas - they are so much easier to cook with and you can control the heat a lot more. They cook more evenly and faster. I miss having a gas stove.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler

nikkiJ86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I like gas stoves.That is what I grew up with and that is what I have now.I think they cook better than an electric stove.But that's JMO.

Julie1976
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Electric for me because I would burn down the house with a gas one, seriously!  When my husband and I first moved in together we had a gas stove and grease splashed on the gas one day when I was cooking and up went the flames. Scared the crap out of me, I start screaming, husband flies down the stairs and shows me what to do, which was to turn off the burner and throw flour on it, but I didn't know that and I hate gas stoves!!!!

Julie

VaNavyMom2b2009
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I have used both and I recommend a Gas stove personally. food cooks better, easier to clean, etc. Only things is if you dont turn it on correctly, you could have gas seeping out (lol). But, It was easier on our bill than the current electric stove we have ( our new house did not come with Gas and we could not find one in our budget that did).

A gas stove is really NO diff. than an electric. If you are responsible around ANY stove, then there is nothing to worry about. *i,e. gas leaking, etc*. Since your mom is staying with you (?) maybe you could see what she prefers. If it is electric, like you, then go with Electric.

It sounds to me with the process you need to endure, you should just keep it the way it is. or, buy another house.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

My husband and I are looking to buy a house, and there is one house that would be really nice, it's only ten years old, and has a master quite on the first floor that my handicap mother-in-law would get.  We are waiting to find out if it has a garage, and how big the yard is, cause those will be some of the deciding factors. We already have questions in for age of furnace, siding, roofing, bla bla bla.

My problem with it, is it has this really wonderful kitchen with lots of cabinet space and what seems to be updated appliances, but it has a GAS stove. I don't like gas stoves. I know they cook different than an electric stove and you have to worry of the pilot light going out and leaking gas, and I have a 21 month old and we are TTC. And, in order to put in an electric stove, we'd have to rewire it which mean hiring an electrician and buying a stove. Nto sure how much this would cost, and if we decide to go with this house, I would definately down-bid the offer they have up. As, we need to build a ramp for my mother in law to safely get into the house, and then replace the stove.

My questions is.....do you prefer gas or electric on your stove choice. And, feel free to post why.

VaNavyMom2b2009
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM

That is ANY stove. We never had a fire on our gas stove in Ca when we were stationed there. In our last home  we rented, before we bought, we had fire problems once every other month due to stuff splashing on it. it is EASIER to clean a gas stove. And, if you are careful you can reduce the chance to "catch it on fire."

Flour is a good idea!

Quoting Julie1976:

Electric for me because I would burn down the house with a gas one, seriously!  When my husband and I first moved in together we had a gas stove and grease splashed on the gas one day when I was cooking and up went the flames. Scared the crap out of me, I start screaming, husband flies down the stairs and shows me what to do, which was to turn off the burner and throw flour on it, but I didn't know that and I hate gas stoves!!!!

lostmarbles0520
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

My whole life I've had a gas stove...then we moved here, and now I have an electric stove (and oven). EVERYTHING BURNS! I hate it. I don't bake because of it. The heat is almost uncontrolable. I would give ANYTHING for a gas stove/oven.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I miss my gas stove. I grew up using gas. I've gotten used to electric in the apartment I've lived in and was really happy when my house had gas. My grandmother even bought me a new stove. I was really not happy when I had to give up my beautiful gas stove to move to this house. If you do go electric, get a flat top. Our stove top (we have a wall oven) needed to be replace, and we couldn't afford the gas conversion, so we got a flat top stove. Very nice. Much easier cleanup and there are no burners to have to go under. I'd still rather have my gas stove top.

YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Electric only.  I refuse to have gas and the hazards it presents in my home. 

I would reccomend the glass top electric stoves.  LOVE them.  SO easy to clean--no burners with any coils for things to get down under, etc.  Just wipe clean and they look great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)