Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Socially Acceptable? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel when a man opens or holds a door for you? Please pick the one that comes closest to what you feel even if you have mixed feelings about it.

Options:

A. I feel that it reinforces the idea that women are helpless and need men's assistance

B. I feel cherished, warm inside, as if he has done me a polite favor

C. I feel doted on or that he is waiting on me

D. I do not think much of it; it is just the polite thing for men to do

E. I feel he is being nice, and it makes me feel good

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 95

View Results

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NananRaysmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I don't really like it...I don't know why.  I'm not much for the sappy romantic...hold the door..pull the chair out type of man...

charlie06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I held the door open for a man the other day, his hands were full, he wasn't sure how to respond to it, lol. I think it's just a matter of being polite, people are in such a hurry these days to take the time to care if the door was slammed in someone's face.

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I agree. I hold the door for ppl. all the time. Some will Thank me for being polite and some are just rude in return. I always make sure to tell everyone they're welcome though! LMAO

Quoting charlie06:

I held the door open for a man the other day, his hands were full, he wasn't sure how to respond to it, lol. I think it's just a matter of being polite, people are in such a hurry these days to take the time to care if the door was slammed in someone's face.

oimel00
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:48 AM

It's not a man/woman thing, it's an everyone thing. You hold the door open for people and they hold it open for you, that is what is socially acceptable to me, lol.

emilysmom8
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I always hold the door open for people. I don't think it has anything to do with men or women I think it has to do with being polite, and treating people the way you would want to be treated!

mamaoftwins9197
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I'm actually impressed when a man holds a door open for a woman, unless it's my DF 'cause he does it all the time.  I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's called having manners.  I also think it's polite that a woman hold the door for the person behind her.

Group Owner-NarAnon Moms-www.cafemom.com/group/28555-families of drug addicts

Group Owner-TMI Questions-www.cafemom.com/group/91045-embarassing Q & A

Group Owner-DRADA, Depression and Related Affective Disorders-www.cafemom.com/group/52557

Group Owner-Cheap and Easy KID FRIENDLY recipes-www.cafemom.com/group/88827

JillConnie
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I hold the door for people and I appreciate those who hold the door for me, man or woman, especially a child who thinks enough of others to pay attention.  When it comes to my hubby, I think it is his way of showing that he cares for me.  Just one of the many small things people can do for each other, and as we all know its the small things that add up to big meanings.

alexisw
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Quoting oimel00:

It's not a man/woman thing, it's an everyone thing. You hold the door open for people and they hold it open for you, that is what is socially acceptable to me, lol.

Me too. It's common courtesy - something that we can always use more of.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler

tippymorgan08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Exactly.

I don't go out expecting anyone to hold a door open for me (with the exception of my husband and that's because he does it all the time), but when people do I think it's a very polite gesture. I do it all the time myself, especially if someone has their hands full or something like that. "Treat others as you want to be treated."  It's just a common courtesy.

Quoting oimel00:

I am a Christian, natural birthing, delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, holistic circumcising, extended rear facing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, baby wearing, selectively vaccinating, Obama supporting, full time working, happily married, Texas momma!
MrsGurt
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM

This.

But, when a man purposely waits longer than is necessary to hold a door or even open a door for me, I like it :)

My husband will only open car doors for me if we're out together without kids (so, never lol), because we each have a kid to get into the car. My dad still to this day opens car doors for me, and his wife, and her daughters. It's just how it is. My husband opens all real doors for me though.

Quoting oimel00:

~PJ~

I'm a vegan, Reiki practicing, yoga doing, English majoring, crystal healing, recycling, upcycling, home-schooling, volunteering, animal welfare advocating, Navy chief's wife and SAHM to JR (9/3/03) and Maverick (11/17/05), and "mom" to 12 indoor only cats, 4 dogs, 2 leopard geckos, 2 tortoises, 2 chinchillas, 2 cockatiels and a fish, and foster mom to the occasional litter of kittens, dog, or even orphaned raccoon! Spay and neuter your pets! Be blessed...but more importantly, be a blessing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)