Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

down syndrome testing.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

did you recieve testing while you were pregnant for your child(ren)?

was everything ok? were there risks found?

if you were told that you were high risk for down syndrome, would you recieve further testing? (level 4 ultrasound, amniocentesis?)

Fresh2-2.gif picture by jdavis2

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lanasmom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I never got this testing for 2 reasons--1. They have such a high risk of false positives --2. Even if my child was down syndrome, it wouldn't change anything, i'd still have him/her. --I had a friend who had the testing done, since she was over 30, and it came back pos. for downs, they had a level 4 u/s done, and the baby was fine--she worried for days over nothing.-- I wouldn' t do that to myself.

baby

pregnant

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I had the alpha fetal protein blood testing.  Its no certain indication but a high or low result  could be a problem and then you can decide on an amnio or not.  Mine both came out fine and I was 30 and 32 when I had my girls.  When I had my oldest another lady 34 was pregnant.  Her alpha fetal protein came out very high so she had an amnio and everything came out fine.  Another lady was also pregnant at work too (something in the water?) and she was 40 and pregnant with twins.  She had amnio's and her babies were fine.  She was also happy to be having a girl and a boy. 

KelseyNovy87
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM

i chose not to do the testing. i was love my ds unconditionally and didn't feel the need to do the test.

Daisypath Vacation Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Autumn22
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:15 PM

In my first pregnancy, they did that test and told me I needed more testing because the results came back to show that my baby could have it.  I freaked. :P I called my sister up and talked to her about it.  She said almost everyone she knows that has had that test done have had the same results, and none of their kids had down syndrome.  I opted out of further testing.

I actually know a women who had this test done, then did amniocentesis and miscarried because of that.  The baby was perfectly fine, no down syndrome.  She really beats herself up over it.

I turned down the test in my last pregnancy.

{+} Life, Guns, Constitution, Organics, Breast feeding, Baby wearing, Bed sharing, Home schooling, Ron Paul, Homeopathy, Truth

{-} Vaccines (ask me why), CIO, Formula, Fluoride, New World Order, Smoking, Circumcision (it's HIS choice!)

momtoamo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Never had it done in any of my pregnancies.  It would not have mattered to me.

l

Bellacossina
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I did had the blood testing and first nucal screen ultrasound done at 10 weeks - I requested it and my doctors are very thorough EARLY on in a pregnancy.

My odds came back and I was devastated - showed that I had 1:23 chances - that of a woman in her 40s.... I am in my 30s.

I did a CVS test (Chorionic villus sampling) http://www.webmd.com/baby/chorionic-villus-sampling-cvs

My baby came back positive for Down Syndrome.....

The test wasn't painful and again, my doctors were thorough and very well trained.

Regardless of the outcome - I am someone who would want to know.

I think it's in the moments of such diagnosis that a pregnancy becomes very personal and what lies ahead as parents is between the mother, father and God.

butterfly"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

mama_girl07
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I opted out of all the testing. Some doctors do a ultrasound now though at 12 weeks and can check for it. I got the ultrasound but I didnt do any blood tests because it would change anything.

emily351982
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I am pretty sure I had testing done for it when I was pregnant w/my son and everything came back normal.  My uncle had down's so I think that was the main reason they tested.  I would have furthur testing done if they thought I was high risk for it. 

nikki0522
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I opted to not have the testing done. If it had come back positive, I would have done nothing to end the pregnancy. I would have just stressed myself out worrying.

jigsaw ribbon

heatherann4
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM

just curious as to why so many of your responses had to do with ending the pregnancy, or "you'll love your baby anyway".

is it becuase you believe that's the only reason to get the testing/

Fresh2-2.gif picture by jdavis2

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)