Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What am I?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what in the heck or dog is... He was born on Dec 12 2006... He currently weighs 90 lbs.... We know that for sure his mom is a AKC german shepard (she was outside when she went in heat, also she is the mainly black color shepards) but we can't figure what his dad is... We think he's part German shepard and part great dane... He can't get his ears up like a shepard unless he's mad... What do yall think?

(The flash did that to his eyes) (Please excuse the parts of our chow in that pic lol (RIP Butch))

~*~Pounds to go til I can look like that up there~*~

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sirenabella
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Doberman?

Can't you take him to a vet to have him tested?

MiMiKKrY
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, I'd guess dobbie too.

Bad Momma Confessional... For Those OMG Moments.

hanksmom0207
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Quoting Sirenabella:

Doberman?

Can't you take him to a vet to have him tested?

Yea if I had the money to do it... It cost about $130

thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:39 PM

You can definitly see the Shep in his face. I would agree with what other people are saying, Doberman. There may be more breeds in there than just the 2 though.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

MrsGurt
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM

The weight would have me guessing Dane as well, and his face bares some resemblence, but his structure doesn't show it. His coloring suggests Doberman, but again, he doesn't really have the structure, and that coloring can be typical of some GSD lines anyway. You said his mother is a pure bred German Shepherd, but his structure doesn't show that either. His body type is more that of a Greyhound than anything else that comes to mind, but 90lbs seems high for a GSD/Greyhound mix, unless perhaps the father was a mix of Greyhound and something else. Greyhounds rarely get to be more than 75lbs, and average is closer to 60lbs. Do you know how much his mother weighed?

My best guess would be that Daddy was a Greyhound/Dane mix, but depending on the area, even that seems an unlikely mix.

~PJ~

I'm a vegan, Reiki practicing, yoga doing, English majoring, crystal healing, recycling, upcycling, home-schooling, volunteering, animal welfare advocating, Navy chief's wife and SAHM to JR (9/3/03) and Maverick (11/17/05), and "mom" to 12 indoor only cats, 4 dogs, 2 leopard geckos, 2 tortoises, 2 chinchillas, 2 cockatiels and a fish, and foster mom to the occasional litter of kittens, dog, or even orphaned raccoon! Spay and neuter your pets! Be blessed...but more importantly, be a blessing!

hanksmom0207
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Quoting MrsGurt:

The weight would have me guessing Dane as well, and his face bares some resemblence, but his structure doesn't show it. His coloring suggests Doberman, but again, he doesn't really have the structure, and that coloring can be typical of some GSD lines anyway. You said his mother is a pure bred German Shepherd, but his structure doesn't show that either. His body type is more that of a Greyhound than anything else that comes to mind, but 90lbs seems high for a GSD/Greyhound mix, unless perhaps the father was a mix of Greyhound and something else. Greyhounds rarely get to be more than 75lbs, and average is closer to 60lbs. Do you know how much his mother weighed?

My best guess would be that Daddy was a Greyhound/Dane mix, but depending on the area, even that seems an unlikely mix.

No I don't know how much she weighs and from the coloring his mom was an "almost all black" german shepard...His tail is almost as long as he is tall.....

MrsGurt
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I'd say Daddy was a Dane then, but probably mixed with something else (or a few something elses) as well. I'd call your pup a Shepherd/Dane mix and leave it at that.

I have the same issue with one of my own rescues. I know she's a black lab mix, and we're pretty sure the mix is border collie, but I'm positive she's got some other things floating around in her DNA as well. Eventually I want to have DNA testing done, out of sheer curiosity.

Quoting hanksmom0207:

Quoting MrsGurt:

No I don't know how much she weighs and from the coloring his mom was an "almost all black" german shepard...His tail is almost as long as he is tall.....

~PJ~

I'm a vegan, Reiki practicing, yoga doing, English majoring, crystal healing, recycling, upcycling, home-schooling, volunteering, animal welfare advocating, Navy chief's wife and SAHM to JR (9/3/03) and Maverick (11/17/05), and "mom" to 12 indoor only cats, 4 dogs, 2 leopard geckos, 2 tortoises, 2 chinchillas, 2 cockatiels and a fish, and foster mom to the occasional litter of kittens, dog, or even orphaned raccoon! Spay and neuter your pets! Be blessed...but more importantly, be a blessing!

momof525
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM
I'd say German Shepherd/Doberman
samthecat001
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM

i would guess doberman and shephard.

there's a company that does dog dna testing - you can take a swab and send in into to be tested for like $65.00 if you are THAT curious.

Chuck Norris can strangle you with a cordless phone

laurenday5
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Looks part doberman

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)