• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

needs surgery venting plz read kinda long

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I found out my son needs surgery to put a tube in his left ear.  I am so mad at his old ped for not catching this nine months ago.  My son is now severly behind in speech and his developement because of it.  He needs speech, developemental and physical therapy to catch him up.  His old ped kept telling me he was fine even though he would pull on his left ear llike no ones business.  He acted like it hurt all the time.  His ped said there was no infection so there was nothing he could do for him.  I finally after several visits saw a new ped and she sent me to and ent and sure enough he failed his hearing screen which he passed at birth.  He has fluid behind the ear drum and is being taken care of on the 2nd of February.   I feel better knowing there is something being done but angry because it should have been taken care of sooner.  I wish there was something I could do to let the peds office know about how my son was negelected by him so other moms do not have to go through something like this for so long.  Any suggestions ladies

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CrazyMom5480
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM

I don't know what to tell you.  I hope everything turns out well.

There was a little boy in the daycare I used to work at who did nothing but scream all the time.  It was to the point that the director started talking to his parents about it and possibly not allowing him back in.  He came in and we found out he had tubes put in his ears.  There was an instant change in him.  He no longer screamed.  He started talking, in some cases better than other children his age who had been talking.  (He was between 1 and 2 years old.)  He had had so much trouble with his ears that he couldn't hear to learn to speak and couldn't figure out anyway to communicate.  Those tubes worked wonders for him.  I hope it does as much for your DS.

Momsince1106
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM

there may be a website where you can rate doctors in your area (try google) and if there is, you can let them know what happened.

As for getting the tube in his ear, it's a fairly common procedure for kids..... try not to stress too much about it.

skywatcher1973
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:39 PM

My now 2.5yr old had to have tubes. When he was about 6 months old and every month after he got sick with some kinda cold or fever just always sick. Well we started sign with him and he was able to talk that way with us. We really didn't think about there being anything wrong with his ears. As time went on and he wasn't talking like he should I talked to the ped and he said that he was fine and even with having 3 ear infections there was nothing to worry about. So I told him I want a refferal to another doc a ent. He said fine but there wasn't nothing to worry about. I took him and at the time there was no sign of infection, his hearing was at normal level, But the dod looked at his history and said lets put tubes in. I said alright and like the next day after it was done he started talking like he had the words hidden in there just couldn't say them. I think what helped him was the signing but never know.

As far as your old ped. Report him to the medical board, go on the net look him up and pur a bad rating on him. There are many ways to make sure he can't hurt another kids hearing.

KellyChristal
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:44 PM

your story is very similar to mine....my son wasnt talking at 9, 12, and 15 month check ups...the doc said he was fine...I took him to an ENT on my own and sure enough he was deaf because of chronic fluid and I fired my ped that day.  I loved him too.  My son got tubes in at 17 months, and since has had several severe ifections.  He is now 2, and babbles, baby talks, has his own language but isnt really talking yet.  He is in speech therapy among others...because being deaf for so long causes delays in the senses...so ya, get the tubes, find a new dr and work with him on the therapy...PM me if you need to talk...good luck

I am a 30 year old motherless mother, who has a 3 year old princess and a two year old devil, who has been touched by suicide and breast cancer, who got married at 19 and is still married to the same man 11 years later, who is a Certified Texas Teacher but stays at home now, who has Anklosing Spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease, who is a non-church going Christian, that knows it is important to live in the now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Oh, and for some reason I collect giraffes!

Mamamanic
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I hate that. I have a $600 bill from the ER because my dd was sick and I felt that it was from constipation. With a fever thought she might be geting an infection. She was in pain and throwing up and stuff. 

They said she just had a flu. I had to go to the ped a few days latter because it was so bad. I hate dr.'s that do not listen to parents who know their children.

paula_j
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM

i pray that Gods hands heals your little one, and brings comfort to you and your family... pj

paula

Skitmom430
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:42 AM

My daughter had them put in right after her 2nd birthday.  from the moment she woke up she was talking so much clearer.  It took me two ent's to get them in the first told me there was nothing wrong.  The doc who did the surgery said the stuff in her ears was like paste.  Good luck they were the best thing I ever did for her.

hannah.gif picture by caitmlodesigns

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM

THE ONE THING I CAN TELL YOU IS TO GO WITH YOUR  MIND IS TELLING YOU  !!   my youngest daughter is 22 now. the first pedi. doctor we had wouldn't listen to me when I said something was wrong with her. she was crying all the time- couldn't keep formula( try another he would said, let her cry, she'll quit) she wasn' trying to roll over ect.  so I went to another- he didn't seem to listen either. The third one turned out to be great!! come to find out - the crying all the time- her ears, formula was a different ball game back then there were only two kinds and soy on the market. and for motor skills-yes she is delayed. we just had to have surgery on one of her last nov. she might have to more and a hearing aide because the last ent didn't take a growth out of her ear!  if the doc isn't listening get another!!                     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)