Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I recovered one of the car seats stolen from my car last week!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was driving around today with Chris  to relieve his boredom, when he says MOM LOOK THERE IS MY SEAT!!!!! I look and sure enough it does look like it.

It was thrown in the front yard of this boarded up home, so I went to look at it, and sure enough it IS THE SEAT!!!!!

I had etched his initials in his seat and hers in her seat. In the back was his initials!!! I am stoked. I called the cops, they said to grab it, and they'd be out to my house to take a report about which house. I know nobody lives there, it was boarded up tight last summer from drug activity!!!

I am stoked. I don't need the seat, as we got two new ones, but I am going to clean it up, and store it in basement, so if kids throw up on other seats or they need cleaned, we have a spare--or if I end up with an extra child for the day!!!

Sorry this got long, but I am excited!!!1

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KittyD
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

someone stole your carseats? wow! i woudlnt use it becausethey prob tosed it around and stuff and isnt safe anymore jmo

KittyD ~ Stop By My Page & Sign my Guest Book!

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I agree. Toss it. You have no idea what damage could have been done to it and it may no longer be safe to use.

Quoting KittyD:

someone stole your carseats? wow! i woudlnt use it becausethey prob tosed it around and stuff and isnt safe anymore jmo

laurenday5
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I probably wouldn't keep the seat because who knows what they did to it. Get it checked by someone certified for use. Also, if you have "renters" or "homeowners" insurance, those things can be claimed through your insurance company. So if your vehicle is stolen - the vehicle is covered by the car insurance, but everything inside is not - unless you have that added into your policy. Renters/Homeowners insurance WILL pay for those losses.

If you have a police report of the theft, you have subsequent proof for the insurance company. 

I hope that was helpful in some way :P

lilmomma92706
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Quoting KittyD:

Are you a mama who is a sister Of Epsilon Sigma Alpha International. If so, join my group here.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ESAintl

ms_mommy_sue
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Quoting laurenday5:

I probably wouldn't keep the seat because who knows what they did to it. Get it checked by someone certified for use. Also, if you have "renters" or "homeowners" insurance, those things can be claimed through your insurance company. So if your vehicle is stolen - the vehicle is covered by the car insurance, but everything inside is not - unless you have that added into your policy. Renters/Homeowners insurance WILL pay for those losses.

If you have a police report of the theft, you have subsequent proof for the insurance company. 

I hope that was helpful in some way :P

I was going to submit it to the home owners but our deductible is 500 and the two seats were not even that much money cobined, so seemed pretty silly to do. But I am going to have it checked out! I am just amazed what people will do!

Domzmom2005
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM

That's awesome! Etching their initials into the seats was a great idea, I think I'll do that to my son's seat just in case!

I agree with what one of the other moms said...I'd get the seat checked out by someone certified just to make sure it's safe to still use and I would make sure to thoroughly clean every centimeter of the seat because if the people were messed up enough to steal car seats who knows what else they're messed up enough to do...

Either way congrats on finding the seat!

Momsince1106
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM

i think id be excited too.

im sry that u got ur car seats stolen, did insurance cover new ones? (i dont drive and dont have car insurance, so i dont know if there's theft coverage or not)

ms_mommy_sue
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Quoting Momsince1106:

i think id be excited too.

im sry that u got ur car seats stolen, did insurance cover new ones? (i dont drive and dont have car insurance, so i dont know if there's theft coverage or not)

NO Easter Seals, helped me to get two new seats. I just called them, and they told me get it certified, and not to worry about the two new seats, they are mine!

autumnsmommy02
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Even a certified tech can't tell you the seat is okay to use and any that do are doing their job wrong. They can't tell by looking at the seat or even by playing with the buckles. There's no way to tell the seat hasn't been damaged to where it would not function as designed in a car wreck. I understand the seat cost money and is a loss but better safe to toss it than put a child's life at risk. My sister is a child passenger safety seat technician 11 yrs. and counting and even she said cut all the straps and trash it so it can't be used. It just not safe!

mommytwoboys
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM

that is crazy!!!

But I agree about not using the seats. It just wouldn't be safe...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)