Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IMPORTANT!! Phone Scam

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM
  • 5 Replies

Make sure you bump after you read.

90# on your telephone

I dialed '0', to check this out, asked the operator,  who confirmed that this was correct
so please pass it on . . . (l also checked out Snopes.com. This is true, and also applies to cell phones!)
snopes.com: #-9-0 Phone Scam  
PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was conducting a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originat ing from many local jails/prisons   DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone !!!!! PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
madsmom636
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM

thank youbump

kirstee_roozen
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM

bump

I am an Army wife...If you can't support the troops, you can stand in front of them. I don't cuss like a sailor...I cuss like a fucking soilder's wife...Hooah! You hate the war, but don't support the troops? Well, I have one word for you...Pathetic! All soilder's wives hate the war, but we stand behind the troops because they are over there protecting your freedom, so you don't have to! Military wives have the hardest jobs in this country. We put our own lives and families on hold...for your freedom. We are sexually deprived for your freedom...So next time you judge the Army, just remember that It's not a job, it's an HONOR...and Behind every strong soldier there is an even stronger woman, who stands beside him, supports him, and loves him with all her heart!

Join my group of Army Wives Who Take No BS @ http://www.cafemom.com/group/armywifenobs

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM
fiendishthingy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM

From Snopes:

"This scam does not affect residential or cell phone customers — it only applies to businesses, hospitals, government agencies, and other organizations that still use telephone private branch exchanges (PBXs) rather than Centrex lines to handle their calls. On certain PBX systems (i.e., ones for which pressing '9' is the signal to obtain an outside line, and there are no restrictions placed on outgoing calls), a scammer could gain access to place expensive, long-distance phone calls by tricking an employee into initiating the #-9-0 sequence. Outside of a few other settings where one might have to press '9' to obtain an outside line (such as hotels), the likely result of pressing #-9-0 will simply be a fast busy signal."

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp

Turtleangel04
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I'd like see them try that with me. At least on my home phone :o) I've got no long distant service on it.

Either way here's a bump for ya.

bump

-TurtleAngel04                                          

backpack   typing groom  

Group Owner of: NoDak Group, Glenridge E.S. Cafe and No Bully Zone (no school bullying)

MySpace: www.myspace.com/typhoonturtle   .... just say "CafeMom"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)