Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another UPDATED! My DS needs so encouragement (Sorry it's long)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

Today is a sad day in my house. Today would have been my birthmother "Nana's" 58th birthday. Unfortunately she passed away 2 years ago last November.

Anyways. my DS (11yrs old) has been taking mixed martial art classes for 3 years now. As it was something Nana has made arrangements for him to do, She set up a trust fund to help pay for all his lessons and college.

So here it is testing time for possible promotion in rank. He's currently a purple belt with a flag patch. This Saturday he is testing for a red belt. (I think they refer to this red as 3rd red recommended)

Lately he's wanted to quit because he doesn't think anyone other then me is proud of him. So it's made it difficult to get him to continue with lessons.

It's a mixed feeling for him. He enjoys it but feels he should quit cus he thinks he can defend himself if needed. Plus he feels like dad doesn't care cus dad hasn't been to a test in awhile (Thanks to business trips). And dad hasn't been to lessons lately. Namely because the lessons are before dad gets home from work,

(Got news for him... playing with toy lightsabers does not teach you self defense. An it doesn't exactly help with weight & self-esteem issues. He's be a hermit if we'd let him quit.)

So here's where I need some help. He sure could use some kudos to encourage him for testing. DS tells me he wants to become a black belt some day. And is looking forward to testing this Saturday. But really wants dad there.

Here's what could happen if he tests this Saturday and he decided to continue to the black belt test...

February 2009              Martial Arts 3rd Red Belt Recommended

May 2009                       Martial Arts 3rd Red Belt Decided

August 2009                  Martial Arts 2nd Red Belt Recommended

November 2009            Martial Arts 2nd Red Belt Decided

February 2010              Martial Arts 1st   Red Belt Recommended

May 2010                       Martial Arts 1st   Red Belt Decided

August 2010                   Martial Arts 3rd Brown Belt Recommended

November 2010             Martial Arts 3rd Brown Belt Decided

February 2011               Martial Arts 2nd Brown Belt Recommended

May 2011                        Martial Arts 2nd Brown Belt Decided

August 2011                   Martial Arts 1st Brown Belt Recommended

November 2011              Martial Arts 1st Brown Belt Decided

February 2012               Martial Arts 3rd Black Belt Recommended

This means he could be a black belt by the time he's in high school.

So please help me cheer my DS on. DH and I know he can do it. An we're both proud of him. But he's convinced no one else cares.

(DS's online nick: Padawon)

UPDATE!!!

We're off an running to Mixd Martial Arts Red Belt testing! Padawon says... Thank you!

Update #2:

Testing is done! Out of ear shoot of Padawon. Ma'am told me all she needed was one more black belt to say yes. An Padawon will become an official 3rd Red Recommended (which means he barely made it). WWoooHHHoooo!!!!! We'll know by Valentine's Day.

Oh and FYI Padawon is all excited!!! He told me how good it felt to test. An that all the coments everyone made him feel so good about it. So thank you everyone.

UPDATE #3!!!

HE DID IT!!! Padawon is now a 3rd red recommened belt in Mixed Martial Arts.

(Sorry I haven't had a chance to fix the red eye in the pic.)

-TurtleAngel04                                          

teen boy   typing groom

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natalieg
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Go for it buddy! Nana is still watching over you and just as she was proud of you when she was here, she will be so proud when you make it all the way through! Stick with it, you'll be glad you did. How awesome would it be to be a black belt when you're in high school?! I bet no other guys will have the skills you will acquire if you stick with it!

Turtleangel04
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Awww thank you Nat. Anyone else?... AT ALL!?

bump

-TurtleAngel04                                          

backpack   typing groom 

I Dare YA to help with this challenge!

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1382426/I_DARE_YA         

F_Stathouse
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:43 AM

You Can Do; Think of how cool you'll be with the girls in high-school?  

You Can Reach for whatever you dream for.......... 

Martina70
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:25 AM

Remind your son that he not only has your support- but his Nanna's from Heaven. She beleived in him so much that she made sure to set aside money in her will for him to acheive this goal.

Turtleangel04
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM

19hrs & 20 min til DS test starts.

bump

-TurtleAngel04                                          

backpack   typing groom 

bxmom2580
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM

WE BELIEVE IN YOU BUDDY, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Turtleangel04
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:07 AM

bump

-TurtleAngel04                                          

backpack   typing groom 

KellyChristal
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Your Nana loved you so much, and she loved the thought of you being a black belt.  Sometimes the things we do get boring, or hard, or discouraging...but your mom, dad, and Nana, all know that you can become that black belt one day.  When you do, because I know you wont give up, you will be able to look up at the sky and show your Nana what you did for her.  Just think about how proud she is going to be.  Just think about how proud you will be of yourself for not being a quitter.  I always feel SO sad when I quit things.  So, don't quit.  Push through, think good thoughts, and think of all the cool things that will happen when you are a black belt.  You will be able to defend yourself and your friends (girls too), you will be able to put that on college applications and also, you will get a great looking body from it that girls will go crazy over because it is good exercise.  Try not to get discouraged..not everone succeeds the first time..but if you keep trying, then you will win....and it will make you a better person.  And did I mention all you friends will be jealous of how tough it will make you?  Make your Nana, Mom, and dad proud...and yourself.  And Have Fun!  Good luck.  I know you can do it.   

Turtleangel04
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM

bump

-TurtleAngel04                                          

backpack   typing groom 

momof3319
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Go for it kiddo, red is a great color, but black is better.  Don't quit you will regret it.  You have worked to hard to give up now.  What you are doing is difficult and you should be proud of all that you have accomplished. It's not just about defending yourself, but helping you become a confident and proud young man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)