Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

??Homeless??

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:36 AM
  • 21 Replies

I noticed in another post on here that people seem to have a very low opinion of homeless people. I just have to wonder why? As a formor homeless person i can tell you that the dirty looks  and the judgemental comments hurt alot! I a;ways wonder what people were thinking when they would stare at me and my mom carrying our 60 pound backpacks and our sleeping bags. I guess i am asking why do people seem to think being homeless means you somehow are less of a person?

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZacharyCainsmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:38 AM

I think being homeless is sad :( I would NEVER judge. You never know WHAT that person is going though... and you never know, you may be homeless yourself someday.  :(

proudgrammie07
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 3:45 AM

I work at a complex where alot  of my residents were homeless and they are some of the sweetest ppl around. There are alot of them though that are not so nice and cause alot of issues but to out right judge w/o knowing is not ok and i am sorry that you had to endear any of that.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Depends on the area how people react. If it is something they see everyday they become calous to it. I think it is a feeling that the person is usually not doing enough to try and meet their own needs barring mental health issues.

emily351982
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:48 AM

I don't judge homeless people and I am sorry that you and your mother were in that situation.  There are some really cruel people in the world. 

happysahmmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I believe people can be ignorant. You know what it is like, you understand. I never really understood people who dont at least try to walk in other peoples shoes to understand better.

mamafor6
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM

I usually see them and feel for them to not have a home to go to to have to sleep on the streets that must be very hard. But if I see a person who is homeless and they are in the liquor store I get a lil upset but would never say anything b/c they are prolly dinking to ease their mind maybe they lost everyone they loved whop knows what they had to endure or what happened to make them in that position.

ericagwen
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I wouldn't judge anyone for being homeless.  I think the majority of Americans are only one paycheck away from being homeless.  It could easily happen to a lot of us.  Luckily a lot of us also have family or friends that would be willing to help us out, but some people don't. 

GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I knew this homeless person once.. Sad story as they almost always are.. The story goes that he used to be an accountant and lost it all.. including his family.. I guess he got into drugs, don't know.. but he wasn't all there..

He would come by and wash our cars.. We'd pay him $10.00 and it would take him like 2 hours to do a car but it was clean and we were at work so no hurry anyway.. He was a hard worker.. Never saw him with alcohol in his hands or anything.

So, no, I just consider it sad that people fall on hard times for different reasons. Some of their own doing but it's all about fate.

If I can help, I do.

GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Amen!!! Isn't that the truth.. Most don't have a substantial savings, if any at all and as soon as they get a pink slip, the downward spiral begins.

Quoting ericagwen:

I wouldn't judge anyone for being homeless.  I think the majority of Americans are only one paycheck away from being homeless.  It could easily happen to a lot of us.  Luckily a lot of us also have family or friends that would be willing to help us out, but some people don't. 

Ziggy.Stardust
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:25 AM

I was also homeless for a short time as a teenager. Actually i lived in my car.  I don't judge homeless people because you never know why they are homeless. MANY of them have psychological diseases like schizophrenia and many are US military veterans, most suffering from PTSD. Its usually not because they are lazy and don't want to work.. its because they cant. Not saying that's the case with all but i know it is for many. When i was homeless is still had a job and no one knew i was homeless.. So you can never really tell just by looking that someone is homeless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)