Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Question....(may be offensive)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think teaching kids the facts about sex will FOR SURE keep them from becoming teen parents?Or even getting an STD/AIDS?

Options:

Yes

No

Other-explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

I hear people say you can prevent your kids from being teen parents by teaching them "sex ed"...Do you believe this is actually true?Yes,some kids will take it seriously and use birth control after hearing all the facts,but some just don't care and will do what they please.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Nothing is EVER absolute. 

gretchendawn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM

DITTO

Quoting Amybelle:

Nothing is EVER absolute. 

HaydensMommy007

Of course it wont FOR SURE prevent it, kids will make a choice to have sex or not. But it is our duty as responsible parents to educate our children and also instill good proper values

John 7:38:

He who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water

mrsmoore02

I think it will help MOST kids from becoming teenage parents and STD carriers.  It's wishful thinking to say it will help all.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM

I don't know.  I have a 17 year old that will not be a teen parent, and maybe she won't be a parent at all.  She hates kids. 

I think talking about it does plant that seed in their mind, of some, to either be ultra safe, or to abstain. 

I didn't have sex until I was over 19 and part of it was because of my parents, I didn't want a baby, and most of all I really felt that I didn't want to give that part of me to someone that I didn't have a long relationship with which ended up being my husband. 

AIDS wasn't an issue when I was a teen.  It wasn't around. 

BEXi
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I think it helps, but in reality- kids are gonna do what they want to do. I think it has depends on the amount of respect that they have for their parents and themselves.

girlymommy21
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Yeah,I agree.But I'm mainly talking about the parents who say like "oh I talked to my kids about sex they'll never be a pregnant teen".My mom was one of those parents and even I had my first 2 at 15 and 17.

Quoting HaydensMommy007:

Of course it wont FOR SURE prevent it, kids will make a choice to have sex or not. But it is our duty as responsible parents to educate our children and also instill good proper values

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I do agree.  I had great respect for my parents and myself. 

Quoting BEXi:

I think it helps, but in reality- kids are gonna do what they want to do. I think it has depends on the amount of respect that they have for their parents and themselves.

hollykins
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:22 AM

There's no such thing as "for sure" for everyone.  It worked for me, I made damn sure there was protection, but it didn't work for everyone.

Brandy.B
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Well, here is my 2 cents. I became pregnant at 17 and my parents talked about sex with me and offered birth control which I took from 15 and up and I got pregnant on BC.

I am a non-sugar coating, breastfeeding, church-going Christian, Childhood Abuse surviving, anti-death penalty, pro-life, disposable diapering, young LOVING mama of two, Madison Liliana Faye (6/20/07) and Isabelle Serenity Rose (11/12/08) and married to the best man in the world, my Samuel. :) Don't limit me to my signature characteristics and I won't limit you to yours. This is just the beginning. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)