• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things my 7 year old can do after school..?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hey everyone... I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or suggestions on something that would be good for my  7 year old daughter to do or go to after school. She is an absolutely amazing student, she's on the A honor roll, and just made student of the month, and is very advanced for her age..... but she is getting into trouble, and very bored at home. She's a wonderful girl full of energy and ready to learn about new things every second. Anyway we came to the conclusion tha she's probably getting into so much trouble because she's getting very bored at home. We have a one year old that's taken up most of my time so therefore I haven't had near as much time to spend with my 7 year old or play with her, or do projects and things like that with her. So some kind of an after school program like maybe 3 times a week would be awesome for her I think..... Something fun... she's into so much - art, reading, dancing, music, crafts, skating, swimming, you name it. Any suggestions moms? :-)

~Julie Baker~
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
GOBryan
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM

If she's bored. I think it's a great idea to get her involved with after school projects. She's old enough where you can sit with her and ask her what she'd like to do.

I don't recommend Girlscouts unless you are also capable of dedicating time to assist and do projects with her. I used to be a G.S. Leader and it's alot of hard work but I didn't allow the parents to just drop off their children for me to babysit. It's a parent/child program.

However, if you are able to get involved then it's a good way to teach her, have fun and spend quality time with her all at the same time.  The projects vary and there's usually camping trips and other field trips involved.

manomom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Do you have a YMCA near you? This is a great place for your whole family to go since you could get a work out (if you needed to) while the kids are playing. Some Y's offer more than others for older kids to do but most have a "tunnel town" to climb around in. They also offer lots of different classes for your daughter like swimming, dance, karate, sports, etc. The one near me is really awesome, they have a rock wall and a room with pool tables and air hockey.  I don't know if price is an issue with you but the classes they offer are a lot cheaper than going to dance or karate schools. If you like the actual private school option for dance and sports many places offer after school pickup so she can go straight there from school. They give snacks, help with homework and give the lessons you sign up for. Or maybe you have stables in you area for horse back riding lessons:)

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM

ballet lessons, art lessons. 

mamaellie1979
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM

my 7 y/o dd just started taking ballet lessions, though she still loves to play basketball with her siblings she likes having the abililty to express herself without being shoved in the sports just because her siblings play (i asked her what she wanted to do and she chose ballet)

Ellie (29) Loving wife to Louie (23), Mom to teenagers Aidan (15), Maddie & Lexxie (13); preteen Jacob (11); big kids, Katie & Chris (10), Tilly (7), Caleb (5); newborns James & Jane (7-29-08); I'm due with baby number 11 on 1 september 2009; i survived teenage parenthood!!! yes, you read right i have 3 sets of twins; i'm a grandma! Aidan and Franchesca (his fiancee) had their baby girl 1-9-09 her name is Arabella Louise, she was 10 weeks early but weighed 2lbs 4oz and was 13in long at birth; she's now a month old and weighs a hefty 10lbs and is a nice 15in long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)