• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Valentines Dilemma...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you buy?

Options:

Cologne

Tennis Shoes

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

I wanted to get my dh the new ed hardy cologne for v-day, but at $55 for the small bottle that is steep for me right now.  He loves cologne and has been out for about 3 months and I know he really wants it.  My dilemma is this... He really needs new tennis shoes.  His are literally falling apart (they have holes in them and he can't wear them when it rain bc his socks get wet).  He is a full time college student and works a full time job.  He really needs tennis shoes bc he has to walk all over campus 3 days a week and he could wear them to work.  He refuses to buy himself ANYTHING!  So would you buy the tennis shoes or the cologne????

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madtan23
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM

The shoes..

gwebkeijmmm
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Tennis shoes are NOT a v-day gift. Shoes are necessary. Buy them a few days later "just because". It's always nice to get something you need out of the blue.  

MRSMADRIGAL
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:32 AM

tennis shoes their more then a want their a need

with peace,love,and do you

STACIEH
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I don't have the $ to buy them a few days later.  If he doesn't get then for v-day then he won't be getting them anytime soon.

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Tennis shoes are NOT a v-day gift. Shoes are necessary. Buy them a few days later "just because". It's always nice to get something you need out of the blue.  

gwebkeijmmm
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Quoting STACIEH:

I don't have the $ to buy them a few days later.  If he doesn't get then for v-day then he won't be getting them anytime soon.

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Is there a smaller (cheaper) bottle you can get him?

mamakas2
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

I'm sure if she could afford to get both then she wouldn't have a dilemna and be on here asking us...

get the shoes...it shows love because it is being responsible and having his best interests at heart.

manomom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I can totally relate to this. Just because shoes are a necessity doesn't mean you can afford them. I often have to wait for special occasions to buy "the necessities" and while some people don't agree with that, that's the way the money game works for a lot of families right now. This being said, I would definitely get the shoes, he needs them a lot more than the cologne right now. Have you checked places like outlet malls, discount stores like Ross, even Walmart sometimes has really nice colognes for cheaper than the department store. You might be able to settle for a different scent or a knock-off brand to save some bucks. Definitely look around different stores for the shoes too, you may find a great sale to afford the shoes and a cheaper cologne. Good luck, mama, I know it's a tough decision to make- practical or more romantic considering it's Valentines:)

Quoting STACIEH:

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

STACIEH
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM

no the small bottle of ed hardy is $55.  this is the fragrance he wants and the imitation doesn't smell the same.

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Quoting STACIEH:

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

gwebkeijmmm
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Quoting STACIEH:

no the small bottle of ed hardy is $55.  this is the fragrance he wants and the imitation doesn't smell the same.

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

Quoting STACIEH:

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

What about a cheaper pair of shoes then? Maybe a pair from Wal-Mart until he can afford to get a new pair of his favorite brand?

manomom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM

When is his birthday? I would consider getting the shoes now since he obviously really needs them and save the cologne idea for his next bday:) He will appreciate the way you care enough about him to make sure he's not walking around all day in falling apart shoes. If it just doesn't feel romantic enough try to spice up the rest of the day with simple, cheap lovey-dovey things. For example: share breakfast in bed together in the morning, take the kids to the park in the afternoon, make a candlelight dinner at home for dinner (the kids will get a kick outta sharing this too, it's out of the norm, but it's great if you can get them to bed and then have dinner for just the two of you), make your own conversation heart cookies (roll out sugar cookie dough like making Christmas cookies but cut them out in heart shapes and then use small tubes of icing to write loving *or naughty* messages-- also another fun project to do with kids or on your own)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)