Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have a husband who doesn't celebrate holidays?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM
  • 16 Replies

My husband never does anything for holidays.. He never buys me anything but a card (sometimes).. He says we don't have money to spend of gifts and always tells me not to get him anything either...

Even on Christmas he doesn't want to do anything with HIS family or mine. He says he never really celebrated them growing up and doesn't either now..

It makes me feel like he doesn't appreciate me enough to buy me anything though, and he said it's not that he just doesn't like spending money... But my husband makes good money, we just have so many bills so it disappears...

Does anyone else live like this? lol

Click Picture to Join "Lookin Fine in '09" a weightloss group!
Photo of Audrina Patridge, edited by AlyssaH87

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlyssaH87
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Wow no one? lol

Click Picture to Join "Lookin Fine in '09" a weightloss group!
Photo of Audrina Patridge, edited by AlyssaH87

manomom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:08 AM

My husband grew up in a country that was not allowed to celebrate Christmas and there was never enough money for other holidays so I basically had to teach him about holidays and what my traditions are. We often don't have the money to spare and the past few years I've made the agreement with him we won't get each other Valentine's gifts. He feels bad about this, but I don't really need a special mandated day to know that he loves me. Besides, most of the "Valentines" themed gifts get their prices raised just for the occasion so I say no thanks. If you feel strongly about him getting you a gift then tell him how you feel. It may take awhile for it to sink into his head that he needs to show a little more effort but he will eventually understand where you're coming from and one day you won't even have to remind him.  

happysahmmom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

We do small gifts on holidays..except for valentines Day. We both believe its a Hallmark holiday and dont bother with gifts for each other. We do buy a small gift fo the kids though.

KimberC
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

My husband is the very same way.  He doesn't believe in any holiday.  He says they are made up just so you will spend your money.  I always get a dozen of roses on my birthday and we usually go out to eat.  It hurts my feelings but I've learned that's just the way he thinks. 

MamaSyn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM

We tend to skip most holidays due to our budget.  I haven't gotten a Christmas present from my s/o in about 4 years.  But, Valentine's is non-optional because we have our tax return.  He tried to get out of V-day w/ the whole "I don't do holidays" thing (he was in prison for 6 years and nobody came to visit him on holidays so they were hard for him for a long time).  However, I threatened to kick his teeth in if he doesn't get me a present.  I work my BUTT off making sure his life goes smoothly, the least I can get is some little bauble one day a year. 

j_c_c_s_l
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM

no my husband spoils me,sorry,maybe ask him if you guys can start celebrating

soulmeetsbody19
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

BUMP!

soulmeetsbody19
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Same here, husband doesn't celebrate. Sucks too, because my family always had. Even if we don't have "money for presents", we would eat together or just spend some time at home watching a movie. Doing SOMETHING. My husband used to when his parents were together as a kid but when he moved out to live with his Dad, his Dad worked a lot and strange he just didn't celebrate it. His dad NEVER talked about how he grew up or his own family. We used to go do stuff together all the time and I know we have a child now but we've only been married for almost two years!! (Known for 3 years). He's not spontaneous. Sure, once in a blue moon we go out to the beach (if I'm lucky). All he cares about is his projects and his friends. Past three birthdays he's made me cry. This year, instead of trying to celebrate stuff with him. This year I said Screw It. If he's always going to make a fuss about going to my familys house to celebrate, or just celebrating anything alone and try to bail on me, I'll make plans on my own. It's sad. Trying to do reverse psychology to see if maybe that works. I don't want him to celebrate because I want to. I want him to celebrate because he wants to. I will not force him if that's how he feels. So don't even include him or recognize the holiday to him. He didn't want to celebrate his birthday so I didn't get him anything like I usually do. He got excited about Father's Day and I was like "Well, I thought you didn't celebrate these things...." He acted like he forgot. Obviously he cares somewhat if he was acting like that.. maybe it's working? We will see before the year is out. It's hard... I'm not even going to mention our anniversary or my birthday, Christmas, Halloween. Nothing. ninja

soulmeetsbody19
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Quoting j_c_c_s_l:

no my husband spoils me,sorry,maybe ask him if you guys can start celebrating

And you are helpful how.... ?

Susannahl
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My husband ruins almost every holiday with his underwhelming attitude or lack of interest.  It is getting to the point that I get nervous as the holiday approaches because I know I will inevitably end up in tears.  I’ve tried talking to him and it just doesn’t make a difference.  For Valentine’s Day, no presents, but I tried to do the romantic thing by lighting a ton of candles, playing soft music and waited in the whirl pool bath for him to get home.  He just walked in our bedroom and laughed….I think it comes down to different points of view on holidays but come on….can he just respect me enough to make an effort?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)