• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THIS is SHAMEFUL !!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

This is a Bulletin Post from a friend of mine. Not the first that I have heard of this, but no less shameful. We can yell praises all we want...and send gooshy lovey dovey e-mails all about how much we support our troops. But when are we going to start fighting for their rights *their treatment as United States Army Soldiers.*when they enter the army.When are we going to demand the honorable treatment they deserve..instead of being treated like vagabons of war.  Listen up.......

Ok here is my update : We are finally at Fort Irwin. When we got here they told us they have no place for us to live. Yes, thats right. We are in the Army and are stationed at an Army Post and they have no place for us to live until March 23. They told us they didn't have any temporary housing available either and the post hotel is booked.
So, essentially the Army rendered us homeless. A military family...homeless.
So after I argued a bit, they finally gave us a room at temporary lodging. It is a one man room with no TV, no internet and no telephone. There are six of us in the room. Six people in a one man room. Its pretty f-cking pathetic when the military can't house its own Soldiers and their families. I wish I was making this story up, but sadly...I'm not.

If this pisses you off or upsets you that Soldiers and their families are treated this way in our country please do something about it. I will be posting phone numbers for the local Congressman and the post commanding general plus phone numbers for the housing office here and the local newspapers. PLease Please Please call. As soon as I have all the numbers and have access to the computer I will post them. This is not an isolated incedent. This happens to every single family who comes to this post.
The nearest city is an hour drive from here. Off post there is literally nothing. It is undeveloped desert for nearly 50 miles. No gas stations, no grocery store...nothing at all. Just desert. When families come here they are told that they will either have to live in a hotel for 2 months...not paid for by the army, live with relatives or live off post an hour away. If you have school age children you are expected to enroll them in school elsewhere for 2 months and then pull them out of school and enroll them on post when you move. And when you are shocked and appalled, they tell you that you shouldn't feel entitled to things.
This is the most appalling deplorable situation I have faced as of yet in the Army.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kagegirl
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM

This IS shameful!!! I am a military brat, and proud of it!!!! My father would roll over in his grave if he knew how this countries service men and their families were being treated. I gotta do something! Get those numbers from your friend, and I will call and harangue them MYSELF!!!!!

me-n-mygirls
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM

angry I am pissed at this.....it's just wrong.......how can you treat PEOPLE this was PEOPLE that you told to move there.

They wouldn't like me at all........good for her in standing up and letting them know that they are f*ck*d up

oooooohhhhhhh I just want to slap them and I would of for real-----which is why I could of never entered the army I'm not diciplined enough and like I said I want to slap them for REAL.

~~~Shontell~~~

oimel00
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM

A little off topic, isn't a large percentage of Vietnam vets homeless now?

barbiebubbles
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Proud military wife here , and we have never arrived at a post to get housing off the bat. Most posts have a 1 or more year waiting list.

barbiebubbles
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Ummm I think maybe u are a lower enlisted wife? You will learn. You should always be prepared to live in off base housing. Your husband should have been told that.

barbiebubbles
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Also, please be aware your actions are totally going to destroy your husbands career. I do hope you are prepared for the consequences.

Im not trying to be hateful I am being real.

..JessIca..
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM

What she thinks she's the only one trying to get a free ride off the army because her hubby joined? Sounds like she should have planned ahead instead of expecting them to do everything for her! Just because she's in a army family doesnt give her a gold pass, there are thousands of US vets who are homeless............ JMO 

CoastieWifePR
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM

It is shameful...  But they should have applied for BAH before they had to report to their new duty station and looked for a place off base, at least until a house on post opens; so they could be prepared if anything happened...  I hope their situation gets better soon...

jacklyntoots
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Good luck I really pray your situation improves.The only people I know that were in the military were officers and lived off base including my brother.My cousin and her husband (he is career and still in) have a home of their own. I just do think all vets should be treated better.

I just read about the veterans hospital in Va that has been using unsterlized instruments for colonoscopies, and had to send out letters. it is a disgrace and always has been the rate of homeless vets., and the type of health care Higs your way

Jackysimple frown

supermom11995
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Quoting barbiebubbles:

Ummm I think maybe u are a lower enlisted wife? You will learn. You should always be prepared to live in off base housing. Your husband should have been told that.

I am a marine corp brat, and I'm here to tell you that the wife's behavior and attitude directly affects your husband's promotions.  It is a game you have to play to be a military wife and not all are cut out for it.  I agree with this post.  Hang out with some other military wives and learn how to play the game BUT QUICK!  You can sabotage your husband's career very easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)