Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Army wife going to congress PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM
  • 11 Replies

Here's the deal;

I have lived apart from my husband for over 2 years now. We were stationed in Germany and I came home for a visit to discover I was pregnant. I had a complicated pregnancy and was not able to fly. After the birth of our son the Army would not let me return to Germany. Then my husband went to Iraq. He re-enlisted for Ft Riley, KS in December. He just got assigned to a unit there that is deploying to Afghanistan in the fall. So now, while my husband is in Iraq we are already preparing for another deployment. To make things worse, he has to do his reintegration in Germany and will only be in KS for about a month before deploying again. Dwell time for individual soldiers transferring units is currently only 90 days.

You may all think that I should just sit back and take it. I may even get bashed for all this but I don't care. I'm sick of being sad, now I'm just pissed. I'm taking this issue to congress. Not just for my own selfish wants but for all military wives who have ever had to be in this situation. So I am going to congress and trying to get dwell time to reflect each individual soldier. What do you think?

Photobucket

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandie_xo
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

How did they stop you from going back to germany?

toddler girlKailyn- January 15th 2008storkBaby#2 Due Oct. 12

pregnancy due date

mrsboone350
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

in loveHi,

I have been in the Army 20 years. My husband is fixing to retire. There is nothing

fun about the separtions. Not for him and not for you. It's his job. I thought I was prepared

for Armly wife and etc. It's a rough anyway you look at it.  I was in civilian world when my

hubby was with me.  I can't even imagine the pain.  Nope the Army will not send u back to

Germany. However, airplanes are a little cheaper, go home on your own. I would!! I lived in Germany for two years>I know u miss being home...........take care, and I hope ur fight is worth it!!!!! But be sure u get all the facts before u go to fight.................mrsboone350

19D_mom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:58 PM

It's a unit regulation that stated that all dependents who received an ERD (early return of dependent) would not be able to return. We had no choice though. I simply couldn't fly and after 90 days the unit would've initiated the ERD themselves.

Quoting Brandie_xo:

How did they stop you from going back to germany?

Photobucket

Brandie_xo
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM

well that's pretty standard. If you EROD, then they are paying to send back all of your belongings. They arnt going to pay to bring it back to germany only to send it back to the US in a couple of months.- it sucks that it wasn't explained to you, but that's just the way it goes.

Not true about the being gone for 90 days though. As long as you talk to the right people, and get the okay and get the forms filled out, you can be gone pretty much as long as you like. When my husband deployed i went to the states from september to august. I just didnt bring my stuff with me.

pregnancy due date

rella8672
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I don't blame you for your feelings at all.I just think it would be too hard to go case by case,because there are just too many people to have to consider each persons individual situation.They need to come up with a better plan all together.

lyndonsmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Thats strange he will be deploying a few months after he gets home... Is there no way he can be put on Rear D for the first few months of his new units deployment.  I would think that he could fight that for his mental well being.  They said it wasn't healthy to be put into a combat situation for more than 12 months and then they moved deployments up to 15 months but to be gone 30 months out of 3 years seems strange to me. You may be able to fight on that alone.  Are you going to move to Riley or are you staying where you are?

19D_mom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM

It wasn't an issue with my stuff, it became an issue with Tricare. The unit would've initiated the ERD if we didn't first.

Quoting Brandie_xo:

well that's pretty standard. If you EROD, then they are paying to send back all of your belongings. They arnt going to pay to bring it back to germany only to send it back to the US in a couple of months.- it sucks that it wasn't explained to you, but that's just the way it goes.

Not true about the being gone for 90 days though. As long as you talk to the right people, and get the okay and get the forms filled out, you can be gone pretty much as long as you like. When my husband deployed i went to the states from september to august. I just didnt bring my stuff with me.

19D_mom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM

He's been talking to the unit and Rear D is basically out of the picture considering the main reason the assigned him to that unit specifically is so he could go. I wouldn't care as much if we even had just 6 months together. I would even be a little bit more content if they could allow him to do his reintegration at Ft Riley and that would give us 3-4 months together. I'll probably move to Ft Riley. That was already the plan and I miss being around other Army wives.

Quoting lyndonsmom:

Thats strange he will be deploying a few months after he gets home... Is there no way he can be put on Rear D for the first few months of his new units deployment.  I would think that he could fight that for his mental well being.  They said it wasn't healthy to be put into a combat situation for more than 12 months and then they moved deployments up to 15 months but to be gone 30 months out of 3 years seems strange to me. You may be able to fight on that alone.  Are you going to move to Riley or are you staying where you are?

Photobucket

lyndonsmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Yea I would definitly contact your congressman. Whats his MOS if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting 19D_mom:

He's been talking to the unit and Rear D is basically out of the picture considering the main reason the assigned him to that unit specifically is so he could go. I wouldn't care as much if we even had just 6 months together. I would even be a little bit more content if they could allow him to do his reintegration at Ft Riley and that would give us 3-4 months together. I'll probably move to Ft Riley. That was already the plan and I miss being around other Army wives.

Quoting lyndonsmom:

Brandie_xo
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM

It still sounds like someone didn't tell you the whole story. Even if you go on a vacation to the states an you are gone for more than (i  think) 2 weeks, you are supposed to switch tricare coverage. It only takes giong down to the local office.  I had tricare OCONUS, switch to tricare south for 13 months, and then when i returned home, back to tricare OCONUS.   I was never threatened to be ERODED.

Quoting 19D_mom:

It wasn't an issue with my stuff, it became an issue with Tricare. The unit would've initiated the ERD if we didn't first.

Quoting Brandie_xo:

pregnancy due date

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)