Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

disciplining a 3 yr old

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

so my son is usually a very well behaved child really he is. The last few weeks he has been acting really bad. Tonight after he came home from his grandmas he went to his room and wanted to watch a movie so I asked him which one he wanted well after putting the same 2 movies in about 4 times each I told him I was done and he was watching what ever was in the DVD player and had to deal. So he starts screaming NO I want to watch _______(I can't remember now which one was in and which one wasn't) so his dad comes in and he plays the whole I want to watch this movie game with him for a few minutes and gets tired of it and tells him the same thing. So he's at the top of the stairs screaming he wants the other movie I told him to stop or I was taking his TV. He didn't so I went in his room and took his TV. So his dad (not in front of our son) tells me that was extreme. WTF! I'm not going to let a 3 yr old scream at me. It's not going to happen. Well the only problem is it didn't effect him he just found something else to do and went about his business. How am I suppose to punish him if it doesn't effect him? Plus his dad who always says I spoil our son doesn't agree with what I do. The other day he had a fit b/c he wanted chicken nuggets well I didn't have the money for them all I had on me was enough to buy the babies formula. So he has a fit and we go home with out going to the store b/c I wasn't about to go in the store with him acting like that. So I told his dad no more fast food period. Not until he began to straighten up his act. Which he doesn't get that much anyways. And what does he do takes him the next day to get his nuggies. Me and SO need to have a serious talk about this b/c DS is getting old enough that he'll start to realize he can play us against each other. So my main ? is how do I discipline my # yr old if it doesn't bother him?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
yero
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Hi!!! I can absolutely relate!!!!  At their third birthday..they act like a 5 year-old and by 3 1/2 they can act like they are two!!! I use a two minuet time out, that seems to work well.  He is just  at a stage of development where on one hand he fights for his own free will and on the other hand, he needs to know he came run back into the shelter of mommy's arms!! You are going to be fine!!!! Cheers!!!

tomsmom07
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Quoting yero:

Hi!!! I can absolutely relate!!!!  At their third birthday..they act like a 5 year-old and by 3 1/2 they can act like they are two!!! I use a two minuet time out, that seems to work well.  He is just  at a stage of development where on one hand he fights for his own free will and on the other hand, he needs to know he came run back into the shelter of mommy's arms!! You are going to be fine!!!! Cheers!!!

thanks I will figure something i out (I hope) time outs never really worked either maybe now that he's older I will have to try again.

phelpsamp
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM

it might be just me but what is a 3 year old doing with a TV in his bedroom? I think that alone will set you up for battles right there. As for the discipline, time outs work but you have to be consistent and I've noticed with my son once they hit the 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 years old they seem to get more rowdy and throw more fits. Its just a stage and it will pass. Put him in time out 1 minute for every year old he is so 3 for 3 minutes, and be consistent

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

wave

Hi tomsmom07

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Preschooler Moms

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

-> The Cafe Group Admin Team

Feel free to join us on these CafeMom Groups:

The CafeMom  Newcomers ClubThe CafeMom Newcomers Club     Current Events & Hot TopicsCurrent Events & Hot Topics  
Advice for MomsAdvice for Moms 
  Kids, Fun & Photos!Kids, Fun & Photos!   The Cafe @ CafeMomThe Cafe @ CafeMom

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Its the terrible 3's not the terrible 2's.  Whatever discipline you use, just be consistant and firm. 

MrsGurt
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

My oldest got his own TV and DVD player for his 3rd birthday. I don't think it's that uncommon. When we moved the two kids in together, we took the TV out because I didn't trust my youngest not to destroy it, and my oldest didn't say a word about it, even though it was his TV.

My current three year old went through an EXTREMELY difficult stage. He's slowly coming out of it. Time outs work really well for us. I have a step stool in the hall in an area that's isolated from absolutely everything else, and that's the timeout spot. Timeouts don't even work for my oldest, but they' work wonders for my little guy. He doesn't even question me anymore, or fight it. He just goes. I give one "easy" warning "Hey Mav, if you can't be careful with the playdough, you're not going to get to play with it at all." Then one "firm" warning, "Maverick, put the playdough away now. You're done." And if there's any resistance whatsoever, it's an immediate timeout. I don't set a time limit anymore. He'll start crying, go sit down, calm himself down, come back, say he's sorry, we'll talk "Mav, you got in trouble because you didn't listen to me. I wanted you to be able to play and have fun with the playdough, but you weren't being careful with it. When you get silly with it, it falls on the floor and makes a mess, and that's not okay. Clean up your playdough now, and maybe we'll try again tomorrow." And he follows through with what he needed to do in the first place, and the situation is over. As long as I stay calm and consistent, he responds really well.

~PJ~

I'm a vegan, Reiki practicing, yoga doing, English majoring, crystal healing, recycling, upcycling, home-schooling, volunteering, animal welfare advocating, Navy chief's wife and SAHM to JR (9/3/03) and Maverick (11/17/05), and "mom" to 12 indoor only cats, 4 dogs, 2 leopard geckos, 2 tortoises, 2 chinchillas, 2 cockatiels and a fish, and foster mom to the occasional litter of kittens, dog, or even orphaned raccoon! Spay and neuter your pets! Be blessed...but more importantly, be a blessing!

karalynsunshine
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I discpline my three and a half year old daughter all the time...plus I know what you are going through...I have two boys and when they do get grounded from tv or anything else..we take whatever they are grounded from and take it out of their room.

I think that you are doing the right thing by discplining your child.

good luck.

KARALYNSUNSHINE

s.johnson1229
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I know what you are going through. I just went though a battle with my 3 year old this morning over breakfast. First she wants waffles, then changes her mind, then pancakes....no she changes her mind again...she wants cereal. So I made her waffles and told her that was what she was going to have or she would be hungry.  She screamed so I took her breakfast and told her she couldnt eat and until she acted right. ANd she'll do something similar like with the movies and throw a fit when she doesn't get her way. When she gets like that she has to go sit and her room, calm down, then come out and TALK to me...not whine or she goes back in her room in her chair. Its a battle, but I say whatever you do decide to do consistence is the key, which is why I agree you should have a talk with your SO, that way you are both on the same page and your child doesn't get mixed messages. Good luck!

tomsmom07
by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM

thanks everyone

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)