Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question regarding Formula

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM
  • 24 Replies

Ok ladies...I am asking for honest opinions and not to be bashed....PLEASE! 

My 5 week old daughter is currently on Enfamil Sobee formula. She is handling it well.  Apparently she had a reaction to the regular Enfamil while she was in the hospital.  Anyway, she seems to like the Enfamil, but my DH and I do not like the price.  Is the Parent's Choice just as good as the Enfamil? Or can someone recommend another brand that is cheaper that is just as nutrious as the Enfamil. We priced out Enfamil and Similac the other day at Wal-mart and they are literally under a dollar apart in price.  Also, I know we have to slowly mix in the new formula that we are going to use and eventually switch completely over, but has anyone had serious issues when they switch formulas.  Our daughter seems to have some gasto-intestinal issues and we are using the Mylicone after ever other feeding to help and I really do not want her to suffer anymore than she does.  We have issues getting her to burp, but she does pass gas, quite well I might add, at the other end. 

Thank you for all your help

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heartsandskulls
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM

are you guys on wic? i would see if you can quailfy for wic before you go switching her formula on her.

pregnancy week by week
NavyWife1103
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Can you get WIC??? You might not be able to get the Enfamil with WIC though. When I got it you could only use the formula they offer. I changed my both my kids formula and they never had a problem.

AMOM2B
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM

No we do not quality for WIC.  I have checked and we make too much money.  Thus I am trying to save us some money and not sure how I feel about Parent's Choice. If it were for my DH or myself, I have no problem buying store brand stuff (which we do on most items when grocery shopping), but I want the best for our daughter when it comes to nutrition.

immamommy050208
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM

good start is cheaper isnt it?  i like good start more than enfamil.... my dd handled it alot better 

bmommie
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I started out using Similac and it was $25.00 a container and I was going through that every 5 days.  I switched to Parents Choice from Wal-mart and I think it was $13.00.  I talked to the doctor about it and she com paired the labels and they were the same.  She said it was fine.  My son had no problems with Parents Choice.  It saved me a lot of money!

spunky946
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I personally would not switch formula, but that is just me.  I think that there are some things that you do not buy generic, and that is one of them.  Plus since she has a sensitive stomach, I would not mess with it, but that is just my opinon.   

mommy2angels427
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I am not sure.. I didn't ff.. but, I would think they are all equal in terms of nutritive value...

HaileysMommy130
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM

since your kiddo wasnt handleling the formula she was given in the first place i dont think its a great idea for you to go and change the formula on her. is there a way that you can buy in bulk so its cheaper or finding coupons to bring it down some??they only stay on it for a year and then she gets switched to milk.

*Hailey Dorothy* January 30th, 2007 @3:04pm  *My 1 and only Lil'Princess*

aav1125
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM

We were told by our pediatrician and the hospital staff, that the store brands are usually better anyway. Their reasoning was that the store brands had been around longer, and that the ingredients or how they were made was better too. How true that is, I dont know. We did get WIC so we always had to get Similac.......Good Luck!

NavyWife1103
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I just looked it up! Things I found I wouldn't see a problem using the walmart brand. I also saw some good comments about the Target brand. Here's Parent's Choice website and they compare ingredients to the similar brand.

http://www.parentschoiceformula.com/default.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)