Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our Pres. + Apology = WEAKNESS!!!! What is your opinion?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM
  • 162 Replies

His references to American "arrogance" and its "dismissive" attitude were viewed by some commentators as an unwarranted attack on his homeland while travelling abroad.

In a speech in France, a country that has been a bastion of anti-US sentiment in recent years, the President said: "In America, there is a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.

"But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual, but can also be insidious. Instead of recognising the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans choose to blame America for much of what is bad. On both sides of the Atlantic, these attitudes have become all too common."

Despite the balance in the speech, Charles Krauthammer was indignant on Fox News. "When Kennedy arrived in Paris, he didn't attack Eisenhower... if you want to attack the US, you do it at home."

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahm_of_rj
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I don't know that I would have called it an "attack" on America but I know when I heard the speech it ruffled my feathers a little bit.  I think that he shouldn't have said anything that could be construed as negative against his own country while traveling abroad.  Instead of talking about our past "failures" he should have talked about where he wants to go from here and how he wants to work with the rest of the world in the future. 

athenax3
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM

It's just my opinion and worth as much as anyone elses, but I think he's just trying to rebuild a connection and commitment between nations and is offering and requesting mutual respect. I found the speech to be honest, forthright and frank, and I appreciated those things very much. He didn't demean troops (as so many have misconstrued this speech to mean somehow), he didn't say anything that isn't simply the cold stone truth- Americans are "dismissive" of others, Europeans do have a anti-American sentiment, and both can be detrimental to unifying in a way that is becoming increasingly necessary for many nations. I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but to me it seems that to find something distasteful or disrespectful in the speech you would have had to of started out looking for something negative.

deborah50
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM

akataml
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Im starting to think that that man has an issue with keeping his foot out of his mouth 

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Yep, we will see if it continues. 

Quoting akataml:

Im starting to think that that man has an issue with keeping his foot out of his mouth 

chagenue
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM

good

Quoting athenax3:

It's just my opinion and worth as much as anyone elses, but I think he's just trying to rebuild a connection and commitment between nations and is offering and requesting mutual respect. I found the speech to be honest, forthright and frank, and I appreciated those things very much. He didn't demean troops (as so many have misconstrued this speech to mean somehow), he didn't say anything that isn't simply the cold stone truth- Americans are "dismissive" of others, Europeans do have a anti-American sentiment, and both can be detrimental to unifying in a way that is becoming increasingly necessary for many nations. I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but to me it seems that to find something distasteful or disrespectful in the speech you would have had to of started out looking for something negative.

luv_my_xiya
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM

i didnt read this but OP its weakness

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Come on, we all know he's anti-American. 

LiChanelsMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Maybe its time to give McCain a go at it. spinning globe

....Proud Republican!

Nera1214
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I couldnt agree with you more :)

Quoting chagenue:

good

Quoting athenax3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)