• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update* One positive.. Two negatives?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM
  • 18 Replies

-- so i was tired of waitin and i called my mother in law who works at a hospital and asked if she could do anything for me since i do not have insurance, and she is close to the girl in the lab and she understood my situation... and she let me come in on my lunch break and drew some blood and i am NOT pregnant!!! so i can relax easy now!

I know most of you are just goin to say go to the dr but my work insurance does not kick in for another month so i just need to hear what some of you have to say...

I am not supposed to have my period for about 5 or 6 more days, but we had sex alot when i was ovulating.. (not the best idea, i have a 5 month old) he didnt go in me but he got close!

so i have been feeling really weird lately.. so i took a test just to see if it would say anything..

so the 1st one was positive and it was positive REALLY fast... then my hubby went and bought two more and they were negative... it may just be too early,but has this happened to any of you? and what were the results??

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOnLI
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM

whhy dont you get a digital one.  i never trust the + - ones. i always get ones that spell it out.

good luck either way

akataml
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM

is that the POS one? Cause it looks neg to me. I would wait a few days and get an EPT one.Good luck 

LiChanelsMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM

You can't have a false positive, so if one was positive, then you re pregnant (you can't falsely have the hCG hormone). The others may not have picked it up bc its too early and there wasn't enough hCG in your urine (at that time) when you peed. Congrats.

val_alise0531
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:47 AM

so why do you always hear stories of false readings??

LiChanelsMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I'm not sure. Possibly the person didn't read the test right or something went wrong. But for the 'pregnant line' to surface it has to be activated by the hCG hormone (a hormone which only pregnant woman have). Normal everyday non-pregnant lady urine cannot activate that line.

I would wait until a few days after your period and take a digital read out.

Quoting val_alise0531:

Lanasmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Quoting val_alise0531:

In those cases either they read the test after the alotted time--if you let it sit for longer than the 10min span it can get an evaporation line which is mistaken for a postive line--therefore read it after 3 min or whatever it says on teh box and then throw it away and don't look at it again. --Or its possible that they got a positive but it wasn't a viable pregnancy and they had a veyr early miscarriage, which was mistaken for a period and false positive.--But false positives are very unlikely.

baby

pregnancy

LiChanelsMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I found you this website on why you could have a rare false positive:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-could-cause-a-false-positive-on-a-pregnancy-test.htm

kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Different tests can detect the pg hormone level sooner. If that positive test was a real positive, I would go to the company site & see how low of levels it can detect. Then go to the other test (the ones that were neg) and go to thier company site and see what levels they detect. Chances are that the neg one just can't detect the levels yet. The BEST test to buy is the Wal-Mart Equate brand test, it is one of the top 3 early detectors!

Proud Mommy to 3 CRAZY Boys 

toddler boyboy on a swingplaying soccer

Ashmom614
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM

i always buy a digital one to be sure

TerriL2007
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Take a digital one (clearblue easy) ... I kept getting such faint positives that I couldn't confirm. Once I took a digital it said "Pregant". So there is no room for in between.. Let us know what the outcome is...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)