• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easter Basket - What Would You Do?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

Okay. So BM is ALWAYS trying to one-up us with SD. For Christmas SD told her mom she saw santa at our house and her mom took us aside and asked if someone dressed up as santa to put the presents out....we said no, she was just being a kid. BM's reply was "oh good, because I was like 'how are we going to top that one'"  - - um, excuse me, but why do you have to top it?! She is like this about EVERYTHING.

So last weekend she asked what we were getting SD for easter so "we wouldnt wind up getting the same things". I told her just a basket which is TECHNICALLY true. I asked her what she was doing and she replied "oh we just do a basket, too". Yeah, right. Well what I didnt say is it is tradition in my family to get stuff other than candy in the baskets, my son and her also got a kite, and chalk, etc. I KNOW her mom would have just gone out and bought her something bigger and better if I mentioned this, so I didnt. But I also feel kind of bad for lying.

What would you guys do?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnitaVersion2.0
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, it's petty. 

kiddiecare05
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I think what she does is petty, but I dont know...I sort of feel like I stooped to her level by not admitting everything we were putting in the baskets...

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

chagenue
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM

i wouldn't have told her either.  may be petty but it doesn't mean you don't have the right to be bothered by it.  i would be.  we got my son tons of stuff in his basket, spongebob stuff, a magnent learning thing, candy, chalk, don't remember what else but i wish i got a basket like that as a kid! 

chagenue
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

why do you need to tell her?  i never tell all to anyone.  your not stooping to her level its not her business.

Quoting kiddiecare05:

I think what she does is petty, but I dont know...I sort of feel like I stooped to her level by not admitting everything we were putting in the baskets...

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

GOBryan
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I don't try to keep up with the Jones' or compete. I find the whole thing ludacris. I can afford to, don't get me wrong, but why bother? 

I would have told her that I get them a basket also, you don't have to detail what's inside the basket, after all..

I usually place very little candy and buy items they can play with and use. toys, socks, clothes and other items.

I don't usually buy them the already made ones because they really don't bring much of anything and some items, they won't even bother with.

This year, I'm not going to make any baskets though.  We're going out of town for the weekend and my kids really don't know any better.  My mother will be giving them one and that's enough.

kiddiecare05
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Quoting chagenue:

why do you need to tell her?  i never tell all to anyone.  your not stooping to her level its not her business.

Quoting kiddiecare05:

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

momswalk
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I would tell her it's really not her business, and that if she did happen to "get the same thing" then that would be great because she would have one for her house and one for your house. I know what you're going through, we deal with the SAME thing here! Good luck, and don't feel bad :)

GOBryan
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM

You're not obligated to tell her anything. On the contrary, when she made that comment I would have asked her why she feels the need to compete and make her feel like a fool.

Then I would have told her that I don't have time for that nonsense.

Quoting kiddiecare05:

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

kiddiecare05
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I kind of did say something to that effect...I said well if that happens at our house we just tell her it was because santa (or whoever) knew shed like it so much he wanted her to have one at both houses...she said they tell her that too. But my frustration comes in because that isnt what shes worried about! she just does EVERYTHING to try and sabotage her experiences with us

Quoting momswalk:

I would tell her it's really not her business, and that if she did happen to "get the same thing" then that would be great because she would have one for her house and one for your house. I know what you're going through, we deal with the SAME thing here! Good luck, and don't feel bad :)

chagenue
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM

be nice, ignor her.  she will make herself look like an ass, thats all, lol.

Quoting kiddiecare05:

I kind of did say something to that effect...I said well if that happens at our house we just tell her it was because santa (or whoever) knew shed like it so much he wanted her to have one at both houses...she said they tell her that too. But my frustration comes in because that isnt what shes worried about! she just does EVERYTHING to try and sabotage her experiences with us

Quoting momswalk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)