• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old Teething remedy: Alcohol.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM
  • 57 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about the old remedy of rubbing alcohol on baby's teeth for teething?

Options:

I have done it and would do it again

I have done it but wouldn't do it again

I would do it

I wouldn't do it

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 119

View Results

Theres an old remedy where parents rub alcohol (usually rum or brandy) on their baby's teeth to sooth the pain of teething.

Would you do this? What do you think about this?

alcoholic alcohol alcohols baby babies

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sassired8
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I never did....I just used teething tablets, and orajel....

zodia
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I would never do it myself.

However, i don't knock people who do or have done it. My mom did it to me, my grandmother did it to her kids so  on and so forth. Nearly everyone 20 years back or so did it with their children and we are all fine aren't we?

I am paranoid as hell, AND i have access to healthier medicines for my child so i would not do it. BUT as i said, i wouldn't think badly of someone who has done it.

anziomom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM

A lady I used to babysit for used to do that with her kids. Personally, I never tried it, nor needed to. I would use it in extreme circumstances, like stuck out of town with no access to a freezer or teething tablets. 

ColtsFan1912
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM

i'd never do it. That's what teething rings & tylenol is for lol :)

"To sum it up all in one, I can't help but loving you, reminders of finer things so pure you were sure they would crumble & break, but so beautiful you knew they could not..perfect down to the last eyelash" Element 101.

Nera1214
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I would not want my child to experience the alcohol after taste in her mouth. My grandmother used it on me as I was coming up. I used orajel, tylenol, and the teething rings you can freeze.

Mommy2_two
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I know they use to do it back in the day, but these days with so many other options I never did it.

rosa_lee
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I never have and would never use alcohol. To the people who use vanilla extract because its natural, doesnt that have alcohol in it?

odomjenn
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM

My DH and I did this with our son Nathaniel. It worked briefly but we just stuck with tylenol afterwards.

SraContreras
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM

My poor baby is teething she is 9 months and there is no way in the world that I will do the Alcohol on her.... Thats Crazy!! Does ppl really do that???

Her gums are so swollen I can feel her teeth on bottom, I have done the tylenol since she is having fever and the orajel but she still cranky any adviced please!!!!

Nera1214
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Quoting SraContreras:

My poor baby is teething she is 9 months and there is no way in the world that I will do the Alcohol on her.... Thats Crazy!! Does ppl really do that???

Her gums are so swollen I can feel her teeth on bottom, I have done the tylenol since she is having fever and the orajel but she still cranky any adviced please!!!!

There is nothing too much you can do about the crankiness. Just be patient with her, and show her lots of love. I know its hard, but keep giving her the tylenol drops, and the orajel. I think maybe some crushed ice will help ease the pain. I did that with my daughter. If you need more advice call her pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)