• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you with dogs.... PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have a question. But first a little back story... Last May our friend found a dog that someone tried to drown in the river. He knew I'd been looking for a dog so he called me and I went to pick him up. When I laid eyes on him I KNEW he was "our" dog! He was about 3 months old or so and was a lab/retriever mix. But there was an INSTANT bond. The following October we had to move across state. He did NOT tolerate the move at all. I had him completely house broken and her reverted back to pottying in the house. He kept trying to run away which he NEVER left our yard. He just wasn't happy. So brokenheartedly we took him back home and let our old next door neighbor have him. He loved to climb the fence to play with their dog all the time. So I knew they would take good care of him. We ALL miss him so much... I promised the kids we would get a new dog after we got settled in and used to living here. So fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I start shopping around for a dog to adopt. And I come across an ad that was posted about a dog that was left behind when it's family moved away. It said he had been left in the yard with no food or water. So they had been taking care of him but couldn't actually keep him. They send me a picture of a small puppy. So I figure this is my chance to rescue a dog and have a good new family member. So we go to pick him up and he is HUGE! At 5 months he is already 60 lbs. He is eye level to my 2 yo. But I figure that's okay we can work with that. It'll just take some adjusting. But we get him home and he has done nothing but terrorize the kids. Not meanly but he jumps on them, knocks them down, steals their food... He is just too wild. I am assuming that living outside on his own for a couple of months has made him that way. The kids don't want to keep him. They want a different dog. A smaller calmer dog. And there just ISN'T the bond we had with our last dog. I know that no dog will ever be him but I just don't feel like this dog fits with us. DH is making me feel horrible. He keeps saying I haven't really given him a chance. Because it's only been 2 weeks. But I just don't feel a connection to him and neither does the kids. They took a vote without me this morning voting to take him to DH's aunt and find a "better" dog. I feel awful but I don't know what else to do. We want a dog really bad I just don't think this is him... What do you guys think? Do you think I am horrible? What would you do?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AngelKissedMama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:58 AM

If you & your children arent happy with the dog you should get a dog that is going to make all of you happy! Dont torture yourself just because you dont like this dog. You should start out with a puppy not one that is already 5 months old. You need a puppy to raise maybe around 8 weeks old.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

offrdngal
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Since they voted without you...obedience classes OR and I hate saying this get a shock collar to train him.  I think those collars are harsh, but i've never had a dog as obnoxious as yours is.  talk to your vet, maybe you can get some good training advice there.

Terri

mommy2b0805
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Personally i would give him a week or two more... who knows he might just be the dog u are looking for u just havent given him a chance to show u... after all u said he was starved and it really has only been 2 weeks... the decision is up to you but that's just me... i dont usually give up on things ( not that you are doing that) until ive tried everythin possible... the that would be last option. u said he's a puppy right??? u can totally train him.. its gonna be a job yea but maybe in the end ull be thankful that you didnt let him go! 

Ayvahs Mommy n Mrs Moreno <3

mommy2b0805
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM

and if you do let him go... as long as he's with a nice family that will love him and care for him dont feel bad =] 

Ayvahs Mommy n Mrs Moreno <3

GOBryan

If the connection isn't there; then it's just not there.. As long as you find him a good home, then there's no reason you can't give him away and find one that is better suited for your family.  

MamaSyn

Dogs like that, when you have small children, are just a danger in general.  We used to have a Presa Canario/Rottweiler mix.  We absolutely loved the dog, and he was a good dog, but he wasn't cautious at all around the kids.  Well, one day he knocked my son (who was about 2 at the time) and the baby gate over and my ds almost fell down the steps!  They don't change, they don't become cautious without some serious full-time training, and will just make you all miserable.  And is that good for any of you?  So, while DH may want to keep him, if the kids are that unhappy, maybe it's time to find the dog a new home and go pick a dog from a shelter together.  Good luck in whatever choice you make!

Peytonmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM

So the dog is still a puppy, we have a puppy and he does the same thing its just because he is still a puppy and he needs to be taught, you cant expect a dog to just Know to leave the kids alone. Also im not trying to be mean but how many dogs are you going to go through before you find the right dog, i mean you cant just keep trying dogs out.

Lucy431
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM

DH's aunt said she would take him. She never had kids and her dogs are her life. She has 2 big dos already. And so it's not like I am just getting rid of him or taking him to the pound. He would be spoiled rotten there. She is retired and just maybe what he needs. Someong that can give him their total attention and not worry about it.

vadasmommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I agree. My parents have a St. Bernard and we are over there every night. At first Shiny the dog was so ruff with my 2 year old but with all of us teaching her she had to be easy with the babies and now she is awesome with all the grand kids. I think you need to give this dog more time just my opinion! Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)