• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hairy uproar over drugstore Obama

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM
  • 18 Replies

Tuesday, April 7th 2009, 10:22 PM

Banished from two cities, Chia Obamas are headed here

New Yorkers may soon get a chance to say hail to the Ch-Ch-Chia Obama at local drugstores.

The grassy-headed figurine of President Obama was pulled from Walgreens shelves in Chicago and Tampa after some people called it racist and company brass decided the new collectible was wrong for their image.

But Chia Obama's maker says he won't cut and run, and he is in negotiations with drugstore chains in the New York market to bring Chia Obama here in the coming weeks.

"As quickly as they can take them, we will send them," said Joseph Pedott, 76, founder of the as-seen-on-TV Chia Pets empire.

In the meantime, Pedott added, Chia Obama is for sale online - in "Happy" or "Determined" poses - for the amazingly low price of just $19.99 (three seed packs included!).

It's already a top seller and "could be the biggest I have ever had," Pedott said.

Pedott said he was stung by suggestions that there was something racist about Chia Obama, which, if left untrimmed, appears to give the 44th President a healthy, if very green, Afro.

"Since when is an Afro racist?" asked Pedott, a Republican who voted for Obama. Owners can trim Chia Obama's "hair" to any length they want, he added.

The presidential bust is also emblazoned "Yes We Can," Obama's campaign slogan, as well as with the words "liberty," "opportunity," "prosperity" and "hope."

"We all need hope," said Pedott.

What are your thoughts?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM

How is this racist exactly? If they don't like it, they don't have to buy it....I don't think it's racist though, thats dumb..jmo

retsillacam
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM

LMAo that's totally NOT raceist! I want one! Thats so funny.

Nera1214
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I actually like it :) Its very creative. I'am black and I do not find it to be racist at all.

LyTe684

Quoting lanceandhailey:

How is this racist exactly? If they don't like it, they don't have to buy it....I don't think it's racist though, thats dumb..jmo

Agreed. I don't see how it's racist... confused

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too! ~Maya Angelou

lindsay99

OMG! Why is everything 'racist'.... fucking people.. get a life! 

Ann7227
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM

That's the ugliest Chia pet ever!!!! lol

resamerie
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Quoting lindsay99:

OMG! Why is everything 'racist'.... fucking people.. get a life! 

ditto

loveskellen
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

LOL what she said.

Quoting Ann7227:

Fostersforbeer
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:57 PM

its not racist.. how in the hell is that racist..

omg.. if a person is of color, some how or another everything becomes racist..

seriously its stupid...

and i like obama and still wouldnt buy one.. but hey, if you like it, go for it,

LOVE-5.png Peace, Love, Happiness image by muh-aggie

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Agreed. 

Quoting loveskellen:

LOL what she said.

Quoting Ann7227:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)