Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman pleads guilty to killing her Infant Daughter

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM
  • 31 Replies

The young Hermiston mother accused of killing her infant daughter has pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter.

Michelle Barry, who will be 23 in May, was facing a charge of first-degree manslaughter for giving an overdose of narcotics to her baby. She has been in the Umatilla County Jail since her arrest Nov. 15, 2007. Barry's trial started Tuesday.

During a recess, Umatilla County District Attorney Dean Gushwa and defense attorney Doug Fischer agreed to the lesser charge and a six-year, three-month prison sentence for Barry, with credit for time served. In addition, Gushwa asked Judge Garry Reynolds to add another year and three months to the sentence because "the victim was a vulnerable victim."

Reynolds agreed and sentenced Barry to seven-and-half years in prison.

Under first-degree manslaughter, Barry was facing a 10-year term in a state prison.

Barry said she was sorry for what she had done to 36-day-old Jackelyn Dawn Beyers, who died March 29, 2007 after Barry crushed the pain reliever Oxycontin and the anti-depressant citalopram into the baby's bottle. The baby's father, Chris Beyers, later found his daughter dead on the couple's couch.

"I will pay the price," Barry told Beyers and his family in court, tears in her eyes, her voice catching as she spoke. "I don't expect you to forgive me because I don't forgive myself."

Beyers said he was feeling a mixed bag of emotions over the sentencing.

"Relieved, mad, angry, sad, happy, everything rolled into one," the 22-year-old Beyers said.

While he doesn't believe Barry intentionally tried to hurt their child, he wondered what was going through her mind at the time.

"You don't give prescription drugs to a baby," Beyers said.

In the two years since Barry was arrested, Beyers said he has moved on with his life. He has a new girlfriend, but he will never forget his first-born child. Beyers said he feels he will never forgive Barry for what she did to their child.

"I wish she had got more," Beyers said of Barry's sentence.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceemuhreeashbee
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

SICKSICKSICK

crowned_mom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

hope she burns in hell and gets raped in prison. thats all i have to say. im sorry but i HATE people that do shit like this. i have no sympathy for them.

GOBryan
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Sounds like the woman may have been going through post-partem depression or something like that. She doesn't sound as if she would have done that otherwise.

That's a pretty sad ending.  

sandys_daughter
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Beyers said he was feeling a mixed bag of emotions over the sentencing.

"Relieved, mad, angry, sad, happy, everything rolled into one," the 22-year-old Beyers said.

While he doesn't believe Barry intentionally tried to hurt their child, he wondered what was going through her mind at the time.

"You don't give prescription drugs to a baby," Beyers said.

In the two years since Barry was arrested, Beyers said he has moved on with his life. He has a new girlfriend, but he will never forget his first-born child. Beyers said he feels he will never forgive Barry for what she did to their child.

"I wish she had got more," Beyers said of Barry's sentence.

REALLY? SHE GAVE HER INFANT OXYCONTIN!!! BUT IT WASNT INTENTIONAL?? THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO JUST SHOULDNT HAVE THE PRIVELEDGE TO BE MOTHERS!!!

leanarandolph
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:12 PM

THIS is why the system pissed me off! Had it been an adult that was killed or whatever then she would have gotten life or maybe even the death penalty. Why is it when children are murdered these KILLERS get a measly couple of years and then are out and on with their lives. I agree with the first comment.....this is SICK SICK SICK!

bellasmom32808
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM

simple frownNo punishment will ever be enough for someone like her. That poor little baby.

Momsince1106
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM

i think that she knew what she was doing..... and to give her a lesser charge? bullshit

Momsince1106
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM

i think too many women cry PPD when they hurt their children. I know it does exist, I have a mild form of it, but it seems like because it's more well-known now, moms are hurting the children they didn't want to begin with and then get off with a slap on the wrist.

Quoting GOBryan:

Sounds like the woman may have been going through post-partem depression or something like that. She doesn't sound as if she would have done that otherwise.

momtoamo
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM

In all honesty she could have had sever postpartum depression.  Killing her baby is wrong, and horrible, but we do not know the metal state she was in a the time.

"Abandoning the children in the forest to feed ourselves/  We will all stay more healthy if we do not distribute wealth/  Aimed friendly fire/  There is only greed living the life that we desire/  As we set sail across the raging sea/  Unconquerable by reality....."  Anti-Flag.

GOBryan
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I understand but I don't see where she's claiming post-partum.. also, she's apparently on anti-depresents so that's a good indication that she had some form of chemical imbalance, therefore, this could be a legit case.

The mistake was leaving her alone with the child if that were the situation.

Quoting Momsince1106:

i think too many women cry PPD when they hurt their children. I know it does exist, I have a mild form of it, but it seems like because it's more well-known now, moms are hurting the children they didn't want to begin with and then get off with a slap on the wrist.

Quoting GOBryan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)