Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gay Marriage

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM
  • 88 Replies

What would you do if your child came to you & told you mom I am gay & I am thinking about marrying my female/male lover?

Would you flip out & disown them or would you be supporting & help them all the way?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamie_85
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM

I will always support my children, no matter what. Plus, my oldest two's uncle is gay (also my former BFF since way before he came out of the closet and became cool lol)  i not only ACCEPT people who are gay, but i adore most of them, and i happen to be bisexual myself. Needless to say, whatever makes my children happy, makes me happy

Douglas James Swenson
(June 24, 1961 - February 12, 2009)

RIP Daddy, We Love You and Miss You       

lindsay99
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I'v never been in that situation, and it is quite a ways off, but if I ever were to be, I would like to think I would be 100% supportive. I love gay people! But I don't know if I want one of my babies to have to go through the torment, and descrimination that gay people go through on a daily basis. It would break my heart :o( 

AngelKissedMama
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:46 AM

I understand where you coming from I didnt ever think about that before posting this. I would feel the same way you did I wouldnt want to see my daughter suffer because of the cruel people in the world but then again I would want my daughter to be happy about her sexual orientation too I wouldnt want her to hide it. But Lesbian relationships are looked at as bad as gay men relationships.

Quoting lindsay99:

I'v never been in that situation, and it is quite a ways off, but if I ever were to be, I would like to think I would be 100% supportive. I love gay people! But I don't know if I want one of my babies to have to go through the torment, and descrimination that gay people go through on a daily basis. It would break my heart :o( 

Cara5
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:50 AM

If your child comes to you and says "mom im gay, also im getting married to my lover"  Chances are your not the most open minded person in your childs life.  I would HOPE my children feel comfortable coming to me and telling me things like who they are dating WAY before marriage comes into question!!! 

Not that it matters how you as a parent feel about gay people or gay marriage.  Your child is your child and it is your duty to love them UNCONDITIONALY.  The worst thing you could ever do to your child is let them think you love them less because _______.      

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

Megan6758
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:54 AM

Well hopefully I would have realized they were gay by the BEFORE they got engaged to be married...

AngelKissedMama
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:56 AM

I am meaning if they came to you at some point & said im gay & then at a later point came to you & said I want to marry my lover .....

Quoting Megan6758:

Well hopefully I would have realized they were gay by the BEFORE they got engaged to be married...

mrssullivan
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:11 AM

I would feel a sense of loss over not having a biological grandchild, I would treat him the same way he has always treated me with unconditional love. And I would continue to run interference between him and his dad

Cara5
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:15 AM

Quoting mrssullivan:

I would feel a sense of loss over not having a biological grandchild, I would treat him the same way he has always treated me with unconditional love. And I would continue to run interference between him and his dad

Just because your gay doesnt mean you cant have kids.

I have 6 beautiful, biological children.  :D 

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

silvercrow
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM

You can Have Biological grand children your Daughter can still Get pregnant and have a child and your son can still have a child through a surrogate mother. In both cases the child is Biologically Theirs.

Quoting Cara5:

Quoting mrssullivan:

Just because your gay doesnt mean you cant have kids.

I have 6 beautiful, biological children.  :D 

Every time You See a Rainbow God is Having Gay sex......

babyfat5
by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I would be totally and absolutely fine with this. I grew up in a home where my uncle was gay, totally open about it, he lived in our basement in an aptso I saw gay men and saw that it was just as "normal" to the family as if he had a girlfriend coming in and out. Because I saw this and saw the way the adults in the house didn't view this as "different" and seemed to think it was fine I grew up thinking nothing was wrong with it. As everyone should. I guess that is why when I read posts and stuff around cm and I see the other point of view I think that is totally abnormal and wonder how could anyone not be accepting of their own children or any other family member? How can you deny the rights of another human just because they are different from you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)