Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio tells Christian school student to skip his girlfriends public school prom, or else. UPDATE

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom

47 mins ago

FINDLAY, Ohio - A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Susie on May. 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I wouldn't send my kids to a school like this but if he knew the rules, he knew the rules.  I sent my daughter to a Christian school but what we did outside of school was our business, not the schools.  I think that is the way it should be. 

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I think as long as the parents are ok with it the school should butt out. It's 1 thing for a school to have set rules for their school but it's completly different for them to tell you how to live outside of school. Not to mention if he has a gf the chances are already pretty high that they've had sex, not definetly but it's still more likely. JMO

~~The kind of mom who doesn't need to defend the way she raises her kid.~~

boy on a swing ttc

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:02 PM

No way in hell a school would be controlling WTF my child does outside of school. That is none of their business. But, that's crazy ass extremist for you.

If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, you can rest assured that the water bill is higher there too! ~Maya Angelou

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Wow!! So what kind of music does this kid listen to when he's not in school anyways?? So if he were to listen to Rock music in his car he shouldn't be able to graduate??? I personally would never send my children to a school like that.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:41 PM

that is what they believe. I went to a Christian College affliated with Church of God.. no dancing. *Shrugs* when you chose to go to a Christian school. those need to be taken into consideration. if you dont like it DONT GO THERE. or dont send your childen there.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM

While it does seem extreme, he did knwo the rules when he decided to attend the school--Rules are rules.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Yikes, seems a little extreme.  I would think the parents would have understood that when they signed their kid up though.  I hope the kid chooses graduation over prom.

by Susie on May. 10, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Looks like the kid went anyway.  

Ohio teen expects to be suspended for trip to prom

Sun May 10, 11:46 am ET

FINDLAY, Ohio - An Ohio teenager says he expects to be suspended from a Christian school for attending a public school prom with his girlfriend.

Officials at Heritage Christian School in Findlay had warned 17-year-old Tyler Frost that he would be suspended and prohibited from attending graduation if he went to the Saturday dance. The fundamentalist Baptist school in northwest Ohio forbids dancing, rock music and hand holding.

Frost says he went to the dance because he wanted to experience the prom and didn't think it was wrong.

School officials say he could complete his final exams separately to receive a diploma.

Frost's stepfather says the rules shouldn't apply outside of school and he may take legal action if Frost is suspended.

by on May. 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Well i am glad he did what he wanted. I dont think any school should be able to tell you what you can and cannot do outside of school

by on May. 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I don't care if that boy signed a contract or not, that is ridiculous. I read this yesterday and was appalled!

What are they going to do, wait for him to come home and comb his pubic hair for traces of his date to see if he had sex?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)