Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Father Used Dog Shock Collar on Kids

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

Father Used Dog Shock Collar on Kids

Thursday, May 7, 2009
filed under: moms are talking about

Associated Press: A father was accused of using a dog shock collar on his four children. Salem Police Lt. Dave Okada said the 41-year-old man was jailed Tuesday on charges of criminal mistreatment. He said the father acknowledged putting the electronic dog collar on his four children and shocking all of them at least once.

salempol270.jpg

According to Okada, the father didn't do it as a punishment. Rather, he thought it was funny.

The children, all younger than 10, are in the custody of their mother.

The case has been referred to state Department of Human Services.

What are your thoughts? Funny or form of Abuse?

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BigMomo
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:52 PM

WTF??? Definately a form of abuse.

jlsmith1862
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Okay I will probably get bashed for my answer, but I say funny, depending on their ages and if they thought it was funny. If they were younger then 8, I say not cool. Those things can hurt and that just isn't fun. I do have to admit that I tried out my dog's collar on myself before I put it on her. Yeah it hurt a little but it was HILARIOUS.

damira
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM

i've tried them too and they don't really hurt. its like a strong vibration and we were cracking up doing it. but i think he shouldn't have.

Quoting jlsmith1862:

Okay I will probably get bashed for my answer, but I say funny, depending on their ages and if they thought it was funny. If they were younger then 8, I say not cool. Those things can hurt and that just isn't fun. I do have to admit that I tried out my dog's collar on myself before I put it on her. Yeah it hurt a little but it was HILARIOUS.

wells75904

Quoting jlsmith1862:

I actually agree to this, BUT it did say the children were under the age of 10 that worries me a little they may have been a little young. I have put one on my little brother (he was 13) it hurt a little but it was HILARIOUS!

I am a PROUD Vaccinating, Circumcising, Spanking, TROOP SUPPORTING, CIO,  FORWARD Facing, republican, disposable diapering, buying junk food with food stamps, Public school sending, PRO LIFE under ALL circumstances (abortion is murder), anti-gay marriage, Israel Supporting, Christian SAHM mom who knows the bible is literal truth from cover to cover.  I don't tip unless you EARN it, you don't get a tip just because you don't make that much money so learn to wait on me good or find another job with a guaranteed income, I think the war in Iraq was justified and we should finish, I dont like Obama but I am patriotic enough to respect his office, None of this makes me a bad mama any more than your decisions make you one.

Ayla-bellesmom

Ok, it's probably abuse, but here is the FUNNY part. This morning we were in the waiting room at the clinic (we had Ayla's 18 month shots today) and Ayla kept running around. Every time she saw me looking away she'd make a break for the area behind the nurses desk, or down the hallway. I was sitting with my friend Kayla and told her that I should put a electric dog collar on her lol. (joking of course) And then I come home to read this.

haha

RmeWifey01
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM

If my kids don't stop w/the b.s. today I might enquire of where to buy one!!  (that was a JOKE, in case anyone is wondering. I would NOT do that!)

CARA2008
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM

We had a basset hound who barked constantly and got a shock collar. My husband wanted to see how well it worked so he tried it on himself, it was hilarious!! But yea not for the kids!!

starryeyez23
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I had a friend as a teenager that would put them on yell just cause it was funny...that was quite a bit different then doing it to your children...all under 8? I see it as abuse.

lindsay99
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Well they dont really hurt. I can picture him doing it to himself, then one of the kids saying he wanted to try, and then down the line they all wanted to give it a try. Im sure there is more to this story. Its not funny, its not abuse. 

kabeebabee86
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I dont know what they feel like but the that thought has never crossed my mind...I dont even use one for my dog. Even if it doesnt hurt ...it probably scared the holy crap out of his kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)