Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have anemia?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

I searched symptoms of anemia and my child exhibits ONE of the symptoms which is leg cramps. She's woke up in the middle of the night countless times screaming b/c of cramps. I'm searching b/c I suspect she has Hirschsprung's Disease like my 8 month old does and anemia is one of the symptoms of Hirschsprungs in older children.

Also, is anemia something that is specifically tested for or IF she has it would it be noticed through routine blood tests.

I'm a SAHM to 4 children, Mommy to Irish Twins, married to my best friend, breastfeeding, circumsizing, anti CIO, spanking when needed, kids don't get away with much, NIP and don't care what you see b/c my child has a right to eat, keep a clean house, non husband bashing, LOVE to laugh, smart ass kind of Mommy. Nice to meet you.

"Natural feeding is the duty of every
mother and the birthright of every child"

"While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby." ~Amy Spangler

by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM

There are different types of anemia.  I have a tendency towards iron deficiency anemia...I get very tired, breathless, weak palor.  Anyhow, they would just do a simple blood test...make sure to mention the leg cramps though, because that can also be indicative of a calcium deficiency as well as a potassium one.  Most likely I bet it's growing pains.  I used to get those all the time as a kid, as does my son.  Give your doc a call and put your mind to rest. Well wishes your way. 

by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I am low on iron. and I tend to bruise easily, have fatigue and get dizzy. When I take my iron pills though I don't usually have any trouble.                  At her 15 month apt they did blood tests ,the Dr. said that my daughter is anemic too so she's been taking iron drops.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I don't believe that anemia is a standard blood test.  Or if it is, I think they only look for iron deficiency anemia (if the tests are different.  You should talk to your child's doctor so that hopefully they can get some relief for their legs (and so you both can sleep through the night). 

pregnancy calendar

by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:17 PM

My Anemia has always been iron related and they tell me its why i like red blood meat.. My 13yr gets leg cramps like that her doctor told me they were growing pains? is that possible for your lilone

Every time You See a Rainbow God is Having Gay sex......

by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Every time I have blood work done, my hemoglobin is always low.  If a "new" doctor is reviewing the results, he/she will automatically assume I need iron.  I have to explain that my iron is fine (a serum ferritin test confirms it), the low results come from me having beta thalassemia trait.  Then the docs understand...

by on May. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I have Pernicious anemia. Which basically means I have a b12 deficiancy that leads to an iron deficiancy since b12 is what helps with iron absorbtion. There is no specific test for anemia as some else mentioned. Usually it is detected when they do a hemaglobin test and the number is low. Then they will either just assume its iron amemia and prescribe supplements or they will run a more detailed iron test. In my case since I had a surgery than can cause b12 deficancy they ran an even more detailed iron test. The doctor said that with this test they would be able to see if I also had the b12 deficancy. Which I did. With the type of anemia I have I have to have B12 injections for the rest of my life. Also leg cramps can be a symptom of  lots of other things. One thing would be lack of potassium. My mother told me that as a child that was the DX for my leg cramps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)