Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it okay to take vicodin before getting a tattoo?

Posted by on May. 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I'm getting a tattoo today and I've had the appointment for like a month and a half so I really don't want to re-schedule. Last night I went to the ER because I had a bladder infection and they proscribed me vicodin for the pain. I won't be driving myself, my friend will, but I know there are some things you can't do (like drink alcohol) before you get a tattoo because it thins your blood, so does vicodin thin your blood or is it okay to take one?

by on May. 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
xboxlulu
by on May. 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Vicodin does not thin your blood like booze does.  However, I wouldn't tell the tat artist that you took one unless you know and trust the person.  Some artists are picky and won't do a tat on anyone who they aren't sure KNOWS what they're getting into.  If they guy you're going too is one of those few and he thinks you're high on Vicoden, he may not do the tat. *lol*

Momsince1106
by on May. 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I would check webMD and check for vicodin. If it does not thin your blood, you should be ok. If you are noticably under the influence of anything, then any good tattoo shop wouldn't tattoo you.

oimel00
by on May. 15, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Lol, good to know. I wouldn't normally take anything before this, but I'm in A LOT of pain.

Quoting xboxlulu:

Vicodin does not thin your blood like booze does.  However, I wouldn't tell the tat artist that you took one unless you know and trust the person.  Some artists are picky and won't do a tat on anyone who they aren't sure KNOWS what they're getting into.  If they guy you're going too is one of those few and he thinks you're high on Vicoden, he may not do the tat. *lol*

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Vicodin is not an NSAID....nothing in it to thin the blood.

deborah50
by on May. 16, 2009 at 1:02 AM

While everyone is different, I did take a Vicodin before I got mine.  It was a HUGE help.......I wouldn't tell the artist doing the tatt that you took it though. 

ShadowRaven
by on May. 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM

My husband took Norco (really strong vicoden) before getting his back piece done. He was fine. I took percocet before getting my second tat done and I was fine.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

perfectkitten
by on May. 16, 2009 at 8:45 AM
I don't see why it should be a problem.
iluvmy3grls
by on May. 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Well, I may be a wimp but when I got my lower back done I had already been taking Percocet for back pain and had not eaten and I had to run to the bathroom and almost got sick!!  It may be because I had nothing in my stomach and it did hurt alittle bit.

ASHLEY
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN